AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Sammy 42" EDTV (love it by the way). I have a fireplace that I would like to mount it above. herein lies my problem. I purchased the standard mount that requires 2 studs at least 12 inches apart for proper weight distribution. I got it at Walmart (I know, the devils). Anyway it is for 30 to 50" displays and up to 150 lbs. My TV is 42" and 95 lbs. So far so good. The problem occurs when there is a stud a few inches off center from the middle of the fireplace. Then a stud 16" on each side of that one. so...I could mount it off-center (which will drive me CRAZY) or get creative. The back plate isn't wide enough to span all the studs obviously. I've thought of 2 options and wondered what you more knowledgable people thought about each:

1) Use the screws on the center stud. Then use drywall anchors on each side of the back plate. So basically I would only be using 1 stud, but then anchors for the rest of the mount. My Dad seems to think this will work.

2) Get a 1" thick board and span it across all the studs. Then mount the plate to the board with the provided screws. My Dad seems to think this will work also.

Let me know if either of these sounds good or if there is a better, yet elusive option. PLEASE help! I want to get this thing mounted.

·
Registered
446 Posts
We had a similar problem as this in our store. We wanted to mount a TV over a door frame and discovered that there was only a single steel stud going up behind the center of where we wanted to mount the TV. We mounted two boards horizontally spanning 3 studs and then attached the mount to the boards. The boards are visible about 3 inches on the left and right of the TV but we painted them the same color as the wall and rounded off the edges so it looks less like two boards stuck to the wall. The TV has been there for a few months and we've had no problems. Two studs would've been sufficient but considering it's a heavily used doorway in a commercial building we decided to be extra cautious.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.