AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to mount a plasma screen by just hanging it from 2 appropriate strength braided steel thin cables from ceiling joists? I can't see why it wouldn't work (obviously need to use strong enough cables, but 100 pounds is not really that much weight) and it would be the ultimate low profile mount.

Thanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The ceiling (using wood joists) and cables won't be the problem, but how do you plan to attach the cables to the plasma?

My guess is that you would still require a mount of some type to attach to back of plasma and then attach the cables to that bracket. If you just try to attach to two connection points (like the top two bolt holes on plasma) you risk having too much load on half the required load bearing spots AND you will have the plasma hang odd due to center of gravity issues.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't see any reason why not...

Three things -

Make sure your ceiling can handle it.

Make sure the wire is cut and crimped correctly to the device that will attach itself to the plasma - could you use the bolts supplied? Probably...if your creative.

And make sure you can run cables to the Tv....Im sure tyou can just use some cool tubing made out of maybe aluminum/stainless and use it to pass the wires through......lots of creativity.

Oh and one last thought - test it b/f you use it. Get some 45lb weights from sears or your local gym and hang it on the cables to make sure it will handle the weight!!

cheers, wp....goodluck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.