AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've finally made the plunge and ordered at 42" Panny Plasma. Little did I know what an ordeal it would be to find the right vertical wall mount.

First, I had no idea how much the Panasonic brand wall mount would cost (over $400!! - what a rip). Second, it's damn hard to find anyone selling the original Panny mount.

So...I'm looking at the aftermarket units that are out there and I'm only seeing one or two (the brand names elude me... I think Peerless may be one) and I'm not all that impressed by the construction. My main concern is the thickness of these things - looks like they add a couple of inches to the plasma so the wall mount will really stick out off the wall quite a bit - my main reason for wall mounting for the cool factor and I don't want the thing sticking out of the wall 5". When one enters the room where the plasma is to hang, the initial view of the set is in profile so I want the thing to be backed up against the wall as far as possible. At this point I'm considering the Panny table stand that I have found for $200.

Whew... OK, so for my questions: What is the best (thinnest) vertical wall mount (for a reasonable price i.e. $200 range) ? Does anyone know where I can buy a factory Panny wall mount that won't break the bank? Anyone have a mount for sale (Panny or aftermarket 42")?

Thanks in advance!

-Kale

·
Super Moderator
21,602 Posts
the Peerless mount is probably your best bet- its bent up constuction is plenty strong enough to secure the plasma

if you somehow mount it flush to the wall, it may not get enough ventilation and this could cause problems (shut downs or shorter life)

Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you're spending $000's on a Plasma, why worry about a few hundred on the mounting bracket? The Panasonic bracket is a heavy duty item, well made and finished and protrudes from the wall less than an inch and there is a re-assuring clunk when you mount the display onto the bracket.

Much more important is making sure you can fit the bracket securely to the wall. If you have dry wall, you need to know where the studs are and use good quality fixings. I hung 80 pounds of books off mine for a couple of days to make sure all was well before mounting the plasma.

I have seen a plasma mounted completely flush with the surface of the wall in a store, but there are issues of cooling and how to finish the cut around the plasma, the person who did it made a mess of it. You cannot cut dry wall to the precision required to leave a small and uniform gap all the way round.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
A friend of mine got a non-standard plasma wall mount (it was for my old Fujitsu that I sold him). The original wall mount was either too expensive or was no longer available.

He went to a place that made metal parts & they made him a wall mount for his plasma. He was not very happy with it. You could see the edges protrude & from the side, it made his plasma less attractive.

Since part of the appeal of plasmas is the attractiveness of the technology - the wall mount should be both strong & appealing. That's why it costs so much...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought my panny 42" from Dell and got the mount that they were selling with it. It will stick out about 2 1/4 inches from the wall though. I looked at the Premier and Peerless mount that were suggested in this thread. Does anyone know which is thinner.

I haven't mounted the plasma yet, because I am in the process of finishing my basement. I would like it to be as close to the wall as possible and from what you guys have said I can gain about 1 1/4 with one of these other mounts.

Thanks,

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Norton
If you're spending $000's on a Plasma, why worry about a few hundred on the mounting bracket? The Panasonic bracket is a heavy duty item, well made and finished and protrudes from the wall less than an inch and there is a re-assuring clunk when you mount the display onto the bracket.
I have to second the suggestion to go with the Panny wall mount as well. I have the Panny 42" screen and looked at the other mounts from Peerless, Chief, etc., and was not impressed with either the depth of them or the way they mounted. I wanted the thinnest mount with easy access to the cables in the wall behind it, and it also had to be wide enough to span three studs (where I was putting it, there was a stud right in the center, and two more studs at the standard 16" centers from that, so I needed a mount that could span upto 32 inches). Most of the wall mount portion of the 3rd party mounts I looked at weren't wide enough, so I was going to have a problem anchoring them into more than one wall stud and keep the Plasma screen centered.

The Panasonic mount is the thinnest of all the ones I found (only .76 inches) so it really looks as flush mounted as it can be (Panny recommends a minimum of 3/4 inches away from the wall), and it was also one of the widest and I was able to securely anchor it into all three studs and keep everything perfectly centered. It also has a nice big open window in the center for easy access to the cables (I have a box recess in the wall right behind this window and it made it real easy to stash the extra cable in it, plus it has openings for cable pass through at the bottom that comes out right where you need it. When everything was mounted,

For me, it really paid to have the mount that was made specifically for the screen. The problem was finding a dealer that could actually get one for me and get it in a reasonable time frame. I went through 2-3 different vendors that took my order and then didn't come through (it was going to be 4-6 weeks, if they could even get it, and I already had the plasma screen waiting to hang. One of them even charged my credit card for something they didn't have in stock and then couldn't get - they did finally credit me eventually). Finally, I found one that was able to get one for me in about a weeks time - www.electroweb.com, ( http://www.electroweb.com/product/Pl...-Panasonic.htm ). I ended up paying about double what a 3rd party mount costs, but for me, it was worth it because it worked perfectly for what I wanted.

What I can't understand is why the Panny mount is so hard to come by. Must be Panny doesn't give enough of a profit margin on them to the dealers (Panny must be making a decent profit on them though at $450 for a molded piece of steel!).

-Ray

·
Registered
16 Posts
Based on your recommendation, I am leaning toward the Panasonic wall mount. Can you tell me how visible is the bracket from the side? The dimensions of the mount appear to be the same as the plasma and I was wondering whether the mount is visible against the wall around the edges of the plasma. Also, if anyone has found the Panasonic mount for less than $400, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dollars2donuts
Based on your recommendation, I am leaning toward the Panasonic wall mount. Can you tell me how visible is the bracket from the side? The dimensions of the mount appear to be the same as the plasma and I was wondering whether the mount is visible against the wall around the edges of the plasma. Also, if anyone has found the Panasonic mount for less than $400, please let me know. Thanks.
It's smaller in size than the plasma screen itself, about 2-3 inches less all they way around. It's not visible at all until you are at about a 45 degree angle from the wall, and at that point all you can see is the flat part of the mount against the wall itself. Also, since it's so shallow and almost the same black color as the screen, it's hard to tell it's a separate piece - it really looks like it's just part of the plasma case.

If found it at places for less than $400, but none that could actually guarantee they could get it for me. You could try G&G Technologies. They have it here, http://www.ggvideo.com/pan_th42pwd3u.htm, for $390.

-Ray

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.