AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster to this forum, so I'm hoping that someone will help me out here so...anyone know who's currently offering the best deal on a Panasonic TH-42PWD5UY plasma (or preferably, the retail version that comes with the stand), which I hear has the best value/performance ratio for its size? No online retailers that charge sales tax to CA, please--even at 7.25%, it does add quite a bit to the total price; also, I looked on Dell's website and they don't appear to have a listing for the Panasonic 42" non-HD version, unless I just didn't look in the right place.

Thanks!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Call dell, they have it listed on their goverment site.You can probably ask them to price match $3600 including shipping and no tax. good luck bm

·
Registered
233 Posts
Give Paul Gilmore over at Visual Apex a call and tell him I sent you. He should be able to match that price easily (if not beat it). I bought mine from him as did many others from this forum. Great guy!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey,

Ditto on visual Apex. I got the d5uy yesterday- paid 3495, 100 shipping, 175 peerless flat wall mount. My only complaint is the lack of connectivity- i'm having a bit of a problem connecting a vcr/dvd combo and direct tv. But everything else is as flawless as i could have hoped. BTW, no tax.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Here is what I ordered today from Dell:

Order was placed on: 2002/12/05

Estimated Delivery Date ( within 2 -3 days ): 2002/12/10

TAX: $0.00

Shipping and/or Handling: $0.00

Total Order Amount: $3574.50

Order Detail

Qty Part # Description

--- -------- ---------------------------------------------

1 06-18960 PANASONIC TH-42PWD5UY 42 INCH PLASMA 3000:1 CONTRAST

1 06-19008 DESKSTAND FOR PANASONIC 42 INCH PLASMA

Harley

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Alright! Congrats Harley.

Enjoy!

Regards, Bruce

PS. You may want to keep the spl's down on those Rockets so as not to crack the glass. ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Young
Hey,

Ditto on visual Apex. I got the d5uy yesterday- paid 3495, 100 shipping, 175 peerless flat wall mount. My only complaint is the lack of connectivity- i'm having a bit of a problem connecting a vcr/dvd combo and direct tv. But everything else is as flawless as i could have hoped. BTW, no tax.

can we help?

the BNC ends for components are a little pain but Dan at heartland cables was helpful. $52 shipped for a 2M canare cable with BNC/RCA ends. otherwise you can go with s-video or composite. you can't do both s-video and composite. the panny allows only one or the other to be physically plugged in at one time. if you plug both, i think the s-video wins. you can combine s-video and component though.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Harley,

May I ask how you got such a great deal? I would like to order from Dell as well and would appreciate it if you could tell me what coupons you used or which representative gave you that deal. The deal sounds fantastic.

·
Registered
166 Posts
you can probably get it without coupons if you chat it up with a CSR. tell them you know someone who got it at that price today and you want to get the same thing. i know it sounds too good to be true but it works. if you fail with one CSR, hang up and call another.

shipping time from dell may take a little longer though.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion Hawaii. Its just hard to ask for something thats almost 1-2k off the price on the website:) I hope they go for it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
it's only about $800 off. i think it's listed in the fed gov't site for $4200 + $200 stand. considering all the 15% & 20% off promos they've been running lately, it's not that far fetched.

try the search engine for "dell" and you'll see what i mean. even the visual apex guy is only $100-$200 more than dell, so you're not asking too much.

talk to them like you really really want it in a polite but determined way.

many have done it before.

·
Registered
166 Posts
the SD is in the FEDERAL GOV'T page. remember it's a commercial unit (no stand, BNC connections)

if you're using ebates.com or something like that to get another 2-3% off order the HD and call to swap for the SD.

otherwise if you're just ordering by phone, use the part nos. mentioned above.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Maximus330I
Harley,

May I ask how you got such a great deal? I would like to order from Dell as well and would appreciate it if you could tell me what coupons you used or which representative gave you that deal. The deal sounds fantastic.
I called and told them what I wanted and in a nutshell he quoted me a high price so I countered with a price I was comfortable with and then the game was on (almost like buying a car) he said he had to talk to someone else and I said call me back and he did and he was very close so I said, it has to be closer to my original price that I had in mind and the game was on again, he called back with a price I was happy with.

I asked him if it was okay to pass along what I paid for it and he said yes, so I will post his extension.

Sales Point of Contact: Edward

Phone: 800-274-0696 ext: 48556

I hope this helps.

Harley

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brucer
Alright! Congrats Harley.

Enjoy!

Regards, Bruce

PS. You may want to keep the spl's down on those Rockets so as not to crack the glass. ;)
Bruce

Thanks... I sure hope I will enjoy the plasma, I've spent too much time trying to decide which TV would work best for my environment, I was No. 3 on the power buy for the Samsung DLP and I bailed after reading about the many different issues, then I purchased a 60"GW2 and I returned it as well and all along the plasma was in the back of my mind trying to work its way to the front.

I kept one eye on the Plasma Forum while trying to find a suitable TV that my wife and I could live with.

I've read so many threads and the FAQ (several times) that my mind is warped and actually I do have questions that I know I've read answers to but cant remember where and have been afraid to ask for fear of someone saying read the FAQ or search for it, well I've tried that and that is mind-boggling (results) so I've just tried to stay in the background and will live and learn when the plasma arrives.

I'm afraid the screen is in trouble because my Rockets get grouchy when I don't crank them up:cool:

Later

Harley

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Harley,

That is a really killer deal considering that it includes the plasma, desk stand, and free (I assume it was free since no price is listed) shipping! Does that price reflect any coupons or was it a straight-up deal?

Thanks for the info!

Can anyone confirm as to whether or not it's possible to get Harley's Dell deal without added CA sales tax, besides calling Dell myself? I reckon if I do get charged sales tax on top of the sales price that Harley got, I figure the Visual Apex deal may be more enticing since they're out of WA.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toneman
Harley,

That is a really killer deal considering that it includes the plasma, desk stand, and free (I assume it was free since no price is listed) shipping! Does that price reflect any coupons or was it a straight-up deal?

Thanks for the info!

Can anyone confirm as to whether or not it's possible to get Harley's Dell deal without added CA sales tax, besides calling Dell myself? I reckon if I do get charged sales tax on top of the sales price that Harley got, I figure the Visual Apex deal may be more enticing since they're out of WA.
Shipping was free and supposedly overnight or second day can't remember which it was.

I was told by ED at Dell that anyone contacting him would get the same deal.

Good luck

Harley

Edit: It was a straight up deal no coupons.

·
Registered
698 Posts
If its thru dell home there is no tax in ca. bm

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.