AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, my name is Robin Liss. I'm editor in chief over at camcorderinfo.com - we review camcorders. I just got a pre-production Sony HDR-FX1 for review today, and we need to buy a new HD montior for the company to test this camcorder and other HD camcorders. We are looking for quality, not really size of a montior. We will be testing a variety of HD camcorders, mostly HDV.

Those camcorders will be both 720P and 1080I so I need a TV that does an awsome job of displaying both. It seems that the best choice are the broadcast monitors used by television stations; however consumer Plasma's also look good. One of the things that confuses me is most sets have a native resolution of 1,024 x 768 - and doing the simple math that means the set needs to do some line-resampling or down converting to display a 1080i signal - of course, being a reviewer of video products I know there is a big difference between what manufacturers report and what is best.

Bottom line, I've love some recomendations on what we should buy. Again, we aren't very concerned with the size of the display, more that it will resolve as many pixels as possible and give us the best looking image as well as the most accurate reflection of the camcorder's abilities. We will be using this monitor to review many camcorders so we need something that is very good - I want a fair monitor, one that will really show off the best HD camcorders while accurately displaying the worst.

Thanks,

Robin Liss

Editor-in-Chief

CamcorderInfo.com

·
Registered
395 Posts
Great question! The problem is, you're essentially stirring up a common debate here of Plasma vs. LCD. There are many pro-LCD and pro-plasma people with more than a little bias, so take whatever responses you get with a grain of salt ;)

The gist of it is, most plasmas have a better picture quality than most LCDs, but most LCDs have higher resolutions than most plasmas.

If you want to see every line of a 1080i signal without any conversion, you'll almost have to get an LCD, like the new Sharp 45''. If you're willing to watch 1080i down-converted to a 720p signal, there are a variety of plasmas or LCDs that will handle the signal, and do so quite well.

If you truly don't care about size, you could also get something like the newer Apple Cinema display, which IIRC has the resolution to fully display 1080 vertical lines of resolution, but I believe the largest is 23'' or so.

Good luck, and great site BTW.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've looked at the Apple Cinema Displays. Is that what people recomend in the 23" and 30" markets? What about their contrast ratio? Will those display a true 1080i signal, or do their own funky up-conversions to fill their screens? Again, I'm not a TV expert, but my understanding is up-converting can sometimes be just as bad as downconverting in killing resolution information.

The other thing I'm wondering is why are there these $6,000 and $7,000 CRT Studio HD montiors out there, do those really offer the best options, even if they are rated at only 800 lines of resolutions say? Or do those just resolve the best contrast?

·
Registered
767 Posts
RobinLiss,

If I were you, I would use a tube (CRT) base solution instead of any fix pixel display (LCD or Plasma) especially size is not a concern. You will have less trouble to worry about was it the display or the HD cam that you are testing. Try something like the Sony KD-34XBR960 if you don't want to go for the $6,000 to $7,000 CRT Studio HD monitors. They use CRT for the same exact reason.

Hopefully, weight and dimensional size is not your concern as well.

Or you can opt for a true HD 24" CRT monitor BVMF24U (MSRP $35,980.00).

·
Registered
395 Posts
That's a good point, Robin. I don't know if the Apple displays can not upconvert a 1080 signal to fill the screen... hopefully someone who knows will chime in.

The problem with a CRT set is that you won't be able to view 720p natively; it will be upconverted to 1080i. It would seem that 720p upconverted to 1920x1200p would be more faithful than being upconverted to 1080i, but neither's really going to give you a truly undiluted look at what the products you're reviewing are displaying.

But, on the other hand, your readers are going to be facing the same restrictions, and the camcorder's ideal performance in an ideal situation may not be as important as the camcorder's performance on a typical HD display, like the Sony CRT.

Sorry, that's the reviewer in me slipping through ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Little update: Our friends in the B&H Pro department like the Sony BVM Monitors, it's $8,000 for only 14" but it kicks out an amazing picture.

We're going to pick the camcorder up from our box right now and take it to the mall, and plug it into as many HD displays as we can. There's an Apple Store there so I think we might be able to put it into one of their 30 in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.