AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shopping for a new hdtv for my new home. The most logical place for the tv will be over the fireplace. Prior to making any decisions about the purchase though I was wondering if placing a plasma or lcd over a fireplace is acceptable. I am thinking from the point of view of some increase in heat(though I cannot imagine there will be much from the fireplace), but more importantly, whether occasional smoke will effect the screen. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
There was something about plasmas and fireplaces in the plasma faq . I imagine LCDs would be the same. I know lots of homes have fireplaces, but you don't actually expect to use yours, do you? I've decided they are just for show - sort of like formal dining rooms. ;)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link. Yes, I do like fires in my fireplace. Call me a wild and crazy sort of guy. You know, living on the edge.

·
Registered
771 Posts
What I did in that case was put the furniture on either side of the fireplace facing each other. Then, I put the plasma on the wall OPPOSITE the fireplace.

Advantages: TV doesn't melt or get covered with soot. Can watch TV without getting a stiff neck. Can sit by fireplace or tv or BOTH.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.