AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new TV and needed some help in deciding which TV might be better for me. I'm looking at either the Samsung PN58C6400/6500 or the Vizio XVT553SV. We don't do any gaming, we watch movies occassionally, and we don't care about 3D. The TV will be mainly used for just general TV watching (a lot of sports though). The room the TV in will not be bright. I can get either one for roughly the same price. I've read great reviews on both, but am stuck on this plasma vs led/lcd debate. Any input is greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
After having a UN55C6300 LED set for 2 weeks I had to return it. The picture had cloudy spots, flashlighting, bright blacks, and beyond horrible off-angle viewing. I couldn't live with it, it was not watchable to me. It also suffered horrible motion blur with even the slightest movement on the screen. Browse around in the LCD section and you will find that 80% of the people that post have problems with LED technology.


Plasma for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpr /forum/post/19651800


After having a UN55C6300 LED set for 2 weeks I had to return it. The picture had cloudy spots, flashlighting, bright blacks, and beyond horrible off-angle viewing. I couldn't live with it, it was not watchable to me. It also suffered horrible motion blur with even the slightest movement on the screen. Browse around in the LCD section and you will find that 80% of the people that post have problems with LED technology.


Plasma for me.

You mean LCD technology. LED is just a backlighting and won't introduces all the issues you mentioned. If you're gonna pick an LED LCD, pick the one with local dimming. Yes, they are not as sexy as edge lite LED TVs but PQ will be much better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 /forum/post/19652489


You mean LCD technology. LED is just a backlighting and won't introduces all the issues you mentioned. If you're gonna pick an LED LCD, pick the one with local dimming. Yes, they are not as sexy as edge lite LED TVs but PQ will be much better.

I meant LED backlighting. Even the local dimming 8000 series didn't appeal to me, since I was picking up another set after returning my Samsung LED, I decided to do it right and go Plasma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpr
I meant LED backlighting. Even the local dimming 8000 series didn't appeal to me, since I was picking up another set after returning my Samsung LED, I decided to do it right and go Plasma.
Samsung made 7 full-array Local Dimming LCd's:


LN-T4081F

LN-T4681F

LN-T5281F

LN46A950

LN55A950

UN46B8500

UN55B8500


http://reviews.cnet.com/2795-6482_7-399.html
Full-array without local dimming

Edge-lit without local dimming

Full-array with local dimming:The original and still the best.

Edge-lit with local dimming

http://reviews.cnet.com/2795-6482_7-399.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpr /forum/post/19651800


After having a UN55C6300 LED set for 2 weeks I had to return it. The picture had cloudy spots, flashlighting, bright blacks, and beyond horrible off-angle viewing. I couldn't live with it, it was not watchable to me. It also suffered horrible motion blur with even the slightest movement on the screen. Browse around in the LCD section and you will find that 80% of the people that post have problems with LED technology.


Plasma for me.

I had the UN55C630 as well and had horrible clouding and flashlighting, then after researching, all LED's will most likely have this issue. I think they're overrated.

I went and exchanged for a PN50C680 Plasma and it has the best picture I have seen. I am super happy I switched to Plasma. I do have a LCD in my well lit room that is necessary for reflection issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefftra /forum/post/19655007


I had the UN55C630 as well and had horrible clouding and flashlighting, then after researching, all LED's will most likely have this issue. I think they're overrated.

I went and exchanged for a PN50C680 Plasma and it has the best picture I have seen. I am super happy I switched to Plasma. I do have a LCD in my well lit room that is necessary for reflection issues.

I agree that they are overrated (LED tech). It is a technology that appeals to people because of the look of these TVs. Slim, sleek, and modern are what people are interested in it seems, which takes a backseat to picture quality. People do want what is new, which is why these newer sets are being marketed hard.


Unfortunately I kind of made an impulse buy during a black friday sale, but soon realized after the purchase that I should have done more research. I was expecting much more out of this technology, but was very disappointed to say the least. After comparing both LED backlight tech and Plasma tech, the choice was obvious for me. The only thing that the LCD had was more of a "pop" in the picture, but that doesn't mean the quality was better, it just stood out more color wise. I would attribute this to the brightness that LED tech is known for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
About two months ago, I was looking to replace my 8 year old Panasonic 32" LCD. It was a great TV and served us well. I just assumed I'd get another LCD and started doing a ton of homework on LED technology. Since I was stepping up to a 55" or higher size set, that limited my options a lot in the LED/LCD market. I had narrowed down to the Vizio you mentioned in your orginal post, and the LG55(I can't remember the rest). Both were fully backlit (rather than Edge-Lit) and had local dimming. At this point in process, I hadn't even considered plasma.


So I took my wife to Costco to see the Vizio. She immediately noticed the blooming effect. Then we went to BB to see the 55" LG and she did like that one. But she fell in love with the PN58C8000 Samsung Plasma. I was concerned about image retention and burn-in. So we went home to do some more homework. Turns out CNET ranked the PNxxC8000 second for 2010 models (behind the VT25 series) in just about every category. Now... both the Vizio and the LG were in the top 10, so that's saying a lot too. More homework on the plasma revealed that most of them now come with a pixel shift feature that helps a lot with IR and burn-in. To the point where it's almost a non-issue.


But here was the deal killer for the LED/LCD. The next day (Sunday) we went to a friends house to watch the football game. He had just bought a 60" Samsung LED/LCD and was having a party. There was no room on the couch so we sat on the floor. The TV was mounted on the wall above their fireplace. We could NOT see the picture at all while sitting on the floor! It was truly terrible... you honestly couldn't watch the game. You hear people talk about the viewing angle being so bad on LED/LCD - it really is true.


We went back the next day and bought the plasma and I'm not sorry one bit. It's a phenomenal set and the picture is amazing. The off angle viewing is great too, which is good for us because it's in our family room, which is quite big (and well lit, btw). I know that I really would have been sorry had I bought a LED/LCD set.


I wanted to share this because I'm not a plasma fanboy by any means. I just wanted a great TV and I feel like I got one. Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo807 /forum/post/19651613


I'm in the market for a new TV and needed some help in deciding which TV might be better for me. I'm looking at either the Samsung PN58C6400/6500 or the Vizio XVT553SV. We don't do any gaming, we watch movies occassionally, and we don't care about 3D. The TV will be mainly used for just general TV watching (a lot of sports though). The room the TV in will not be bright. I can get either one for roughly the same price. I've read great reviews on both, but am stuck on this plasma vs led/lcd debate. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I own a 65" S2 Panasonic plasma and the Vizio 551 55" LED/LCD,,, for PQ the Vizio wins,, for size my plasma wins.


Cheers

Davyo
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top