AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm finally looking to move from CRT to HDTV.  I watch quite a few downloaded AVI, MP4, and MKV files; usually 780 or 1080 compressed torrent files.  They look fine on my Sony 32 inch CRT tv, but I'm concerned they may look very pixelated or unwatchable on something new.

Questions:

1.  Does LED or plasma make a difference for these kind of video files?  Why?

2.  Does a budget plasma (Samsung PN51F5300) or LED (Samsung UN39FH5000) have a good enough video processing chip to upconvert or whatever they do to make compressed video files decent quality?

3.  If not, what Smasung product line or video processor do I need?  Was trying to stay away from smart TV or 3D b/c I have Roku and don't need the expense.  Not sure if these chips help with what I need.

4.  Any other tips?  What video format is best for compressed movies/tv shows/foreign shows?

Thanks for any help you can provide.  This is really a great forum. 

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You will never find a display that has as good flexibility as the CRTs when it comes to resolutions and bitrates. They're just one of a kind.

Unfortunately, finding a TV that's best for the contents you watch is going to be very difficult because there are many factors involved, including panel type, resolution, scaler, size, and viewing distance. For example, the Sony Bravia I used to own back then was resolution-tolerant, but bitrate-intolerant. The 1080p Panasonic plasma I own now is bitrate-tolerant, but resolution-intolerant.

I can give you an advise on where to start though. The Samsung F4500 is known to have excellent colors, great blacks, great brightness and ABL handling, and has overall PQ that belies its entry-level price. Many F4500 owners seem happy that it seems to handle any bitrate/resolution contents thrown at. I used to have an LG plasma that had same resolution as the F4500 and it was very CRT-like in that it handled digital contents well with fewer ugly artifacts. You may be first put off at its mediocre resolution, but it's actually the key to handle low bitrate contents well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the quick response.  So you are basically saying that a 720p tv might be better than a 1080p since it doesn't have to process/upconvert the compressed video to 1080?  

My other viewing is ESPN (quite a bit), HBO, Roku channels and OTA Fox, NBC, and CBS.  I'm pretty sure that almost all of them are 720p as well.  If I don't watch blue rays, there really is no need for a 1080p tv correct?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krh77  /t/1520860/plasma-or-led-video-proc...essed-avi-mp4-mkv-torrent-files#post_24435951

Thanks for the quick response.  So you are basically saying that a 720p tv might be better than a 1080p since it doesn't have to process/upconvert the compressed video to 1080?  

My other viewing is ESPN (quite a bit), HBO, Roku channels and OTA Fox, NBC, and CBS.  I'm pretty sure that almost all of them are 720p as well.  If I don't watch blue rays, there really is no need for a 1080p tv correct?

It's just my opinion based on my experience, so don't take my word for it. It's still best you see these TVs yourself with your test files on USB. I will still give you my impressions on three TVs I've used.

"DVDs"

Sony 1080p LCD : I felt they were extremely soft to the point I thought if I was watching any bad VHS or VCD here. Definitions were very fuzzy and overall picture lacked pop. Extremely disappointing compared with my CRTs.

Panasonic 1080p plasma : DVDs also didn't look too good on this plasma, although the picture was still contrasty thanks to its great black level. Seems it picks up wrong elements about DVD upscalings. It makes overall picture soft, yet shows compression defects with extreme sharpness. Still, its softness wasn't quite as puking as the Sony LCD. It was watchable.

LG 720p plasma : The best representation of DVDs I've ever seen on flat panels I've owned! It still reeks digital smell, but this is as far as CRT like it gets. After black modding, the contrast shoot through the floor so much that sometimes I prefered it to watching it on my CRTs. DVDs are quite watchable on this set.

"Netflix"

Sony 1080p LCD : While fuzzy in overall presentation, it didn't really do many things wrong either. It's not amazing, but not too bad either.

Panasonic 1080p plasma : Can be made amazing with right contents, but has too much variance with regards to bitrates. Still, I don't really like how this set tries to magnify compression artifacts with such clarity. It sure is a detailed set.

LG 720p plasma : Very tolerable with low bitrates. Always gives pleasant picture even on low bitrates, but it can still benefit from giving higher bitrate. What I liked this set as opposed to my current Panny is how it's trying its best to only show good details and hiding artifacts, making it for some of more analogue like picture.

"Youtube"

Panasonic 1080p plasma : Since this is a 1080p TV, you would think Youtube 1080p is going to rock with this TV. Turned out to be not. While resolving all the resolution details, it also picks up heavy compression artifacts typical of not so amazing bitrate. Overall image seems quite digitized but its superior contrast ratio is at least giving it an edgy pop.

LG 720p plasma : Loses slight details in comparison with my Panny, but more than makes it up with absolute grain-free presentation. This kind of aspect from the LG was always sorely missed whenever I watch Youtube on my Panny now. Now, if we're talking about logos and all that digital creation, they're going to look jaggy on the LG set, but videos and movies do great on the 720p sets. After black modding, even Youtube videos can be made to look like I'm looking through the window. Very CRT like in presentation and very pleasing in overally presentation.

"Blu-ray"

Sony 1080p LCD : Sharp, clear, bright in presentation if only cartoony in its presentation. Compared to my plasmas, it's a bit one dimensional. Horror movies are not good fit because of bad shadow detail.

Panasonic 1080p plasma : Absolute beast with Blu-rays. Such clarity, such black, it's simply perfect in presentation and FINALLY I get to see grain free picture on my Panny.

LG 720p plasma : With such lousy resolution, I also thought Blu-rays were going to look piss poor on this set...and I was WRONG. Blu-rays look very good on this set too. It may be slightly softer in presentation, but it still manages to give all the important details. I actually enjoyed watching Blu-rays on this plasma more than the Sony LCD.

"720p mkv files"

Sony 1080p LCD : On average, they felt like I'm watching on LCD monitors, only bigger. Sure it's softer, but there's nothing too much bothering about it either.

Panasonic 1080p plasma : Extremely picky with bitrates. Personally I don't like seeing digital artifacts in my videos and this set is way too sharp for that. I don't know how to put it in words, the upscaling themselves are fine and tend to be less softer than the LCDs, but it seems a bit stronger with digital compression artifacts. I don't know...it's just my impression.

LG 720p plamsa : Perhaps the best TV for this kind of random video throw off. What I loved about this set is its ability to give me detailed picture while hiding all the nasty digital artifacts. Sure, it's slightly softer in presentation, so compared with LCDs, it may not seem razor sharp, but that's fine with me. Seeing as I'm so used to CRTs, I really liked this set. But some others hated it for being too fuzzy for their liking, so YMMV.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

anyone else have an opinion/experience with 720p vs 1080p for my viewing?  mostly compressed HD movies, roku streaming, espn streaming, and OTA comedies and sports.  Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
The only viewing issues with resolution are the size of the screen and how far you are from it. Each screen size will have a viewing distance beyond which you cannot see the improvement of 1080 over 720. If from your original post you are talking about using the tv's native support for viewing files via its built in firmware and USB connection, anybody viewing the majority of their content this way would use a media pc. There is no way a tv would give all the options and abilities of pc software.

·
Registered
903 Posts
KOF- which lg 720 tv are you referring too? I had lg a 42 lgpa4500 tv for cable tv and I liked its image and adjustability,except it had noticable green and purple blobs that caused me too return it.People looked older on it.Im not sure if its because it had quite a sharp detailed picture.The budget Samsung looks softer and smoother.But it may partly be a noise reduction thing.If I remember correct the abl may be more saggressive on this Samsung.So the gamma may of been more consistent on the lg.Not sure if that's a firmware issue though.

Resolution on my 720 1024 768 tv is good for most stuff but on light screens with high abl its a bit blurry so I cranked up the sharpness higher than what the pros use on most 1080 tvs.For stuff with bars on the sides the tvs colors look good and at there best,especially if the white balance is set correct.Sam pne450.

Edit I see a lot of compression crap on cable tv when sitting close too screen.somewhere around 6 ft and closer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Edit I see a lot of compression crap on cable tv when sitting close too screen.somewhere around 6 ft and closer.

Do you think this is due to 720p's larger pixels, or cable compression that will only look worse on 1080p? Trying to figure if 1080 is better or worse for most cable.

·
Registered
903 Posts
1080tv will look better for HD and 720tv looks better for SD from everything I've read.The SD quality is different on different programs.HD is more consistent.Compression is always different for different programs, and compression can make some SD stuff look pretty rough when sitting close. Depends what percent of the time you watch HD and SD for choosing a tv.The further you sit back the less the resolution matters.From 12 ft back I can hardly tell any difference between 1080 and 480 channels,but up close there can be a big difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts