AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted the thread below in the PJ forum. Im thinking of selling my 30 inch Samsung TXP widescreen HDTV and moving into either a LCD or a projector. Id go with the infocus x1 or 4805 if I went the PJ route. As for an LCD, I looked at olveia and syntax cheapos in the sub $800 range for 26/7 inchers and 30 inchers. My floorplan is below, Id probably put the screen in a different area than the PJ, Id just like to hear some thoughts on whether people think a 30 inch screen is too small.

____________________________________________________________ ___-

I just moved into an apt. I have a 30" samsung CRT widescreent. The image is great, and the set is great, its just big. I can pretty much sell it for what I paid (minus the $85 it cost me to degauss after moving) so I was thinking about getting a projector. I will be using this 90% of the time to watch DVD moves from a cheapo DVD player (Ill probably just use svideo and let the farudja work its magic) and I might get cable or an OTA tuner down the road. My question is this , based on my floorplan here

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b...er/514098_w.gif

what do you all think about an apartment of this size with a projector. I plan on either putting it on a coffee table or ceiling mount it (Im not sure what it entails, if I can do it with a power drill, I will , but Im not sure what other tools Id need). It will be either on a coffee table in front of a couch (so maybe 4' from the wall ) or ceiling mounted . Ill be projecting on a white painted wall over my bed. (Ill probably have to tilt or prop the projector so Im not projecting onto the bed, which is about 3' off the ground. The room has 1 window (you can see it in the floorplan) and I can shut the blinds to make it pretty dark. Ill probably only use it at night anyway. Id like to hear suggestions/comments on this setup before I sell my CRT . As always, thanks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
There are a lot of things you have to consider. Probably a good place to start is how often do you watch your TV? If you watch it multiple times a day a Front Projector is going to be a bad way to go. Bulbs for projectors are inherently expensive and even if they have a multiple thousand hour rating like the X1 it really all depends on how much you turn the bulb off and on that determines its lifespan.

BTW your link does not seem to be working.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Well, I have both a front PJ and an LCD TV. And of course I use the LCD TV more because its easy to turn on and flip channels. But the Front PJ has that wow effect everytime I turn it on. If you watch quite a bit of regular TV, a Front PJ is not the way to go.

Plus at your price level, PJs at that price range are all pretty bad in my opinion and not worth your time and money setting it all up. At the sub $1K range, honestly your best bet is a CRT HDTV and that will give you the best bang for the buck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.