Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I plan on putting my plasma in the middle of my living room wall. How do you guys hide the power cord?. Are you installing an outlet right behind the plasma yourself and/or through and electrician?. Is it possible to just drill a hole in the wall behind the plasma and connect the outlet to an extension cord and run that up to the attic and just plug it into the outlet up there? Please advise

·
Registered
38 Posts
its against code to run power cords behind walls, but my buddy did. he bought a thick gauge extension cord, you know just for extra precaution. just know if you sell or rent out your house you will have to remove this. probably cheapest to do that. i take no responsibility.

p.s. im buying a new house, so i paid $50.00 extra for them to put in an electrical outlet above fireplace :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Your going to get split views on this. The smarter crowd will tell you its almost certainly against code to run cords through walls. They will tell you that you need to get an electrician to install an outlet right were you need it preferably with a built in surge supressor. They will warn you that if you get a short and your house burns down, you will not get your insurance money when they discover you had a wire in your wall. Some even say running the wire into the wall, where you'll probably have cable and speaker wires, may cause interference.

Others will say they recognize that but did it anyway as the power cord isn't really that different than the contractor grade electrical wiring already in your house.

After careful consideration, I'm going to drop the power cord into a hole in the wall and pull it out below. I don't have quite as long a run as you and won't need an extension cord. I may have reconsidered if I needed an extension cord, but I doubt it. Seems like a tough call.

If you search, you will probably be able to come up with lots of discussions on this topic. Best of luck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
What you want to do is run Romex (in-wall certified power cable, that is one popular brand) from your breaker box (called a "home run") to an outlet and run all your A/V equipment off a surge protector (generic ones for $50 and up, or the infamous Monster brand, or others much more expensive). Any electrician can do this, or do it yourself but use in-wall cable.

Then as mentioned above, make sure the signal cables are not right next to power. For example, cross at right angles, or put at least on opposite sides of the studs. What we are doing is mounting on a panel in a cabinet that is really a fake back, and hide the wires behind.

The question I have is specific to the Panasonic commercial units, the TH-42PWD8UK is my choice. It looks like the power and signal wires are plugged in "upside down", maybe an inch or so above the bottom edge of the screen? So is there enough room to bend the wires 90 degrees so that they can go back behind the mounting panel and be totally hidden?

That is, there is only about one inch for the wall mount, and maybe another inch or two between the electronics connections and the backside of the panel. Hard to tell from pictures and I have not seen a unit in situ. So is this 90 degree bend to hide the cables going to put undo stress on them? For example, an HDMI connector has no positive latch so might not like the torque.

·
Registered
120 Posts
A dedicated romex (2 wire and ground) run from the house circuit box is the safest way to do this. The homeowner can do this on his own in Massachusetts, but still should be inspected by the local building insp. It's not a difficult job if you have some knowledge of electricity and home wiring. Just be careful and don't electrocute yourself. There are plenty of books and web sites that you can learn from.

RHunt

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does the outlet behind the panel need to be a "home run" or can you just run it in parallel (or is it in series ... I always mess that up) from a nearby outlet? i.e., Can you just run romex from a nearby outlet up to the new plasma outlet?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm new to home wiring, but there is an existing outlet a few feet below the plasma. Can I just install a new outlet behind the plasma, un-connect the outlet wires, and re-connect them to the new one?. How do I go about doing this if this approach will work? Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sure, extending an existing circuit is easier on a retrofit. We were doing new wiring, so an isolated circuit "home run" just reduces the noise from whatever other junk was on that same circuit. And you can get ground loops of course if this is a different circuit than the video components, see the plethora of threads talking about those.

Also make sure the current you are going to pull does not come close to the breaker limit, which is usually 15 amps, including everything else on that circuit. Of course, you need to locate that breaker anyway to turn it off while you work on that circuit! Still a good $50 investment is to have an electrician do it, perhaps combine with some other work you need to have done anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.