AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About how high should the bottom of a wall mounted 50" be above the floor? I want to put a credenza below it for the AV equipment, but need to know how much room I have to work with.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have a stone top cabinet type credenza beneath my plasma which houses much of my AV equipment and my center channel speaker. It is a neat design in which a special AV cabinet maker assisted so the placemant of the center speaker could be hidden inside w/o effecting sound quality.

The bottom of my plasma is 42" from the floor.

Don't forget about the center channel placement. It was the biggest challenge we faced in trying to avoid compromising either sound quality or the looks of the room. The cabinet doors remain closed so none of the equipment is ever seen.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sorry jacksonian. The wife has the digital camera for taking baby pictures but I will try to take one and add later.

I can give you the url of the original furniture that was used before it was modified:

http://www.Lexington.com/ProductDeta...&imagenumber=2

Some of the rectangle panels were removed and replaced with speaker cloth which matched the finish and lined up with the center speaker ports. The equipment inside is controlled by an IR repeater and control unit from Smarthome.com. A remote eye was placed to receive IR from my Pronto remote.

The furniture piece with the stone top is very attractive and is much less expensive than having a total custom build based upon my quotes. The modifications were easy to make but I still used my cabinet maker to do them since I figured I could screw it up if I did it myself. Tim the Tool Man Taylor has nothing on me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Major, I went through the same thing you are going through.

The wife did not want to have to look uphill when viewing this thing (also a 50"). We felt that max height should be

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Major Havoc
About how high should the bottom of a wall mounted 50" be above the floor? I want to put a credenza below it for the AV equipment, but need to know how much room I have to work with.
havoc,

went through exact same dilemal i have a heavy center channel and wanted something fairly low to store the components as well as a act as a speaker stand. the solution was a perfect Salamander Designs Synergy Twin20.

with 8' ceilings and sitting 10-11' away, a height of 36" (from the floor to bottom edge of plasma) was perfect. not to tall and not too short. still looks like a huge picture on the wall without cramping one's neck to look "up." if you have higher ceilings, adding 5-10" to 36" wouldn't be bad - make sure your wall bracket has a tilt feature so you can experiement.

pictures are available by clicking on my gallery above...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.