AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy two new 50+inch Plasmas within the next week and with the recent Black Level issues on the Panny's I am hesitant to buy one.

So i was thinking Samsung, is the next best choice, but then i read about this Buzz issue.

Is there any good plasmas right now? I cant afford a Kuro, let alone two of them.

If you were in my situation what would do?

Should i just get an LCD/LED?

·
Banned
215 Posts
If you choose Samsung you're going to have a lot more than a buzz to worry about in a couple of years. Samsung's quality is lacking durability. I've seen some Samsung displays produce excellant PQ but they just don't hold up in the long run. I personally think if you choose a Panny Plasma you'll never look back especially considering the value and durability. For the record, disregard the "Black level Issue" on the pannys it has only effected a small percentage and there is no such thing as a perfect TV. Anyway, I wish you well on your future purchase.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok yea i was pretty set on a pair of Panny 58in S1's until i saw the Black Level thing.

I have a 50in G10 at home and i love it. So i was going to put in two 58s at my beach house they fit my builtin almost perfectly.

·
Registered
240 Posts
from the sound of it so far, the 58 and 65 models havent been hit so hard as the smaller ones in terms of bad blacks. I agree that you will probably be ok with panny for those

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panaman88 /forum/post/18141776

If you choose Samsung you're going to have a lot more than a buzz to worry about in a couple of years. Samsung's quality is lacking durability. I've seen some Samsung displays produce excellant PQ but they just don't hold up in the long run. I personally think if you choose a Panny Plasma you'll never look back especially considering the value and durability. For the record, disregard the "Black level Issue" on the pannys it has only effected a small percentage and there is no such thing as a perfect TV. Anyway, I wish you well on your future purchase.

Do you have stock in Panasonic or something? You really seem intent on burying this black-level issue. Nobody really knows at this point how many tvs are affected as this is just coming to light. Before you buy a Panny read this, if you're ok with it, go ahead. But don't just ignore it as Panasonic has publicly admitted that there is an issue with the 2009 models that was resolved in the 2010 models

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...-1.html?tag=mn

From Cnet- " Buying advice-

The fact remains that it's now the end of the 2009 TV buying cycle and the company's current plasmas are going for rock-bottom prices to make way for the new 2010 models. Those '09 Panasonic sets are pretty tempting and, at least initially, should deliver excellent picture quality.

But if I were buying a plasma TV right now, I would avoid the 2009 line of Panasonic plasmas. "

I own a G15 and it works great, but I only have 350 hours on it. So it may be fine, in six months, it may not be, only time will tell. If I would have known this issue was out there, I would have bought a Pioneer instead. Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/18142317

I'd wait for the new models.

I cant wait past March 8.

I just bought a new condo, and its not furnished or anything and i have it rented starting on the 13th.

So unless 2010 units show up in the next two weeks i have to buy now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a difference between an issue, and a problem.

Samsung Buzz is a problem. If you dont want to watch TV because of it then its a problem.

What i cant seem to figure out is if this black thing, is a problem or just an issue.

I saw that post where the guy has like scientiffically measured the differnce to .01 or whatever. But if i show up at my house am I gonna sit down to watch TV, and be like WTF is wrong with the blacks? or is this just something that some of us AVS nutz can tell but doesnt and wont bother people?

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrobass24 /forum/post/18143715

There is a difference between an issue, and a problem.

Samsung Buzz is a problem. If you dont want to watch TV because of it then its a problem.

What i cant seem to figure out is if this black thing, is a problem or just an issue.

I saw that post where the guy has like scientiffically measured the differnce to .01 or whatever. But if i show up at my house am I gonna sit down to watch TV, and be like WTF is wrong with the blacks? or is this just something that some of us AVS nutz can tell but doesnt and wont bother people?

Yes, OCD really sucks.....

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
PANNY TC-P65V10 here and im very happy.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrobass24 /forum/post/18141672

Looking to buy two new 50+inch Plasmas within the next week and with the recent Black Level issues on the Panny's I am hesitant to buy one.

So i was thinking Samsung, is the next best choice, but then i read about this Buzz issue.

Is there any good plasmas right now? I cant afford a Kuro, let alone two of them.

If you were in my situation what would do?

Should i just get an LCD/LED?

I'm in the same boat as you, and was actually considering an LCD (Sharp) because of the rising black level issues with some 2009 Panasonics. That said, I've decided that I'm just going to wait a while longer and see what 2010 brings, that being the new lineup of Panasonic plasmas.

I'd really much prefer to get a plasma right now, but sometimes playing the waiting game is the most prudent course of action (although one can drive themself crazy by waiting TOO long). In my experiences from the past, Panasonic has always been reliable and built quality displays.

I've kind of theorized that in my head, that I will wait until the 2010 models hit retail and then swoop in on the dropped pricing on one of the 09' models(G10). The black levels issue and THX firmware fix causes me to pause, but a reduced price tag will more than likely get me to buy as I see it as a miniscule percentage of people in the grand scheme of things (not the THX fix, but the black levels). Plus, I've always loved Panasonic displays from my own past experiences with them. I'd probably tack on an extended warranty anyway (most electronics these days almost force your hand), just to be on the safe side and to give a peace of mind.

Good luck, and happy hunting to you as well.

p.s. - I agree with Panaman88, as I loath Samsung products (haven't had good luck with them). Sorry if that offends some people, just my own personal preference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.