Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Until this week, me wife and I have been watching SDTV analog cable on our 46" plasma. The picture has always been very good. I'm using an old JVC VCR as a tuner. Anyway, this week I bought a HDTV STB. I didn't tell the wife, we are on a "spending freeze". I scanned the existing cable and picked up a couple of digital stations including PBS that was broadcast in HD. The picture is incredible! I was blown away. I was so excited, I called the wife over to show her. Not telling her about the HD box, I asked, "how does this station look?" She replied, "It's OK, looks sharper" Then she walked away.

#1) should I tell her about the STB and the 110 inch antenna I'm installing in the attic?

#2) Does your wife get jazzed up about HDTV? or couldn't care less?

-Ed

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I first cranked up an HD football game on my 50" plasma, I said to the wife - What do you think? She said - About what? I then did a back and forth of the same game on SD and HD. She said, and I quote - I don't see much difference. I was flabbergasted! I think there must be some brain receptors that are missing, or something.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ed-

I am not trying to rain on the parade, but the result might have been better had you tried that move on an HD set. At least the BenQ, Monovision, Visio, Tatung 46's (the only 46's?) are not HDTV's. They're EDTV's (I'm seriously considering one).

You showed your wife an HD signal, an improvement. Had you shown her HDTV, she may have been more "jazzed up".

The 50", OTOH. I don't know. Maybe if it were "All my Children", or "General Hospital", you'd have gotten a better response.

Chris

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
At first, nope, wifey didn't care less. Now she asks "What's on HD tonight"....last night she actually watched the Rangers hockey game on ESPN with me which was after watching the show "Jeff Corwin experience" about bats which she absolutely despises. She doesn't like hockey but thought the PQ was damned good.:cool: Now I just need to get her to agree to a 50+ "true HD" incher.

Give her time she'll come around, they all do. As far as telling her about the STB and the 110" antenna, what she don't know won't hurt her?

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by woodgab
Ed-

I am not trying to rain on the parade, but the result might have been better had you tried that move on an HD set. At least the BenQ, Monovision, Visio, Tatung 46's (the only 46's?) are not HDTV's. They're EDTV's (I'm seriously considering one).

[snip]

There should still have been a dramatic difference. I have an ED panel (Panasonic 4UY) and the difference between broadcast SD and HD is night and day.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My wife can tell the difference when I put a football game on in HD. We've been blessed up in the NorthEast with all the Patriots playoff games being in HD. Then, when I switched to a non-HD football game, she says she really notices the difference. And she can tell when they switch to a non-HD camera during the HD game.

Not so much on normal TV. I've put on Leno, CSI, Judging Amy, American Dreams - she says she doesn't really notice the difference. If I put Friends on "Just" mode, she thinks it's in HD just because it's wide screen.

This is on a Panasonic 42PWD, which she likes better than our previously owned Sony 34XBR800.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wmccullough
When I first cranked up an HD football game on my 50" plasma, I said to the wife - What do you think? She said - About what? I then did a back and forth of the same game on SD and HD. She said, and I quote - I don't see much difference. I was flabbergasted! I think there must be some brain receptors that are missing, or something.
This was my experience too.........

·
Registered
500 Posts
My wife said wow!!!! Of course, this is the same wonderful wife that bought herself a McIntosh and B&W 802s, loves football and fast cars... so she has all the right receptors! I hope she will keep me and not get the upgrade bug....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Eternity
My wife said wow!!!! Of course, this is the same wonderful wife that bought herself a McIntosh and B&W 802s, loves football and fast cars... so she has all the right receptors! I hope she will keep me and not get the upgrade bug....
LMAO,

My wife also said WOW, we both did. The first program we watched was a Navy v. Tulane football game on HDNET. Neither of us are football fans but we sat there and watched the game with jaws dropped.

Now she wants to know when SuperHD is going to be available.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Eternity
Oh Man... I envy you !!!

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have the pioneer 503cmx and i did the sd and hd signal switch for my wife and she did say honey that a very nice picture it looks really nice. "Now can you go back to Life Time tv and let me watch movie"(lol)

Man sometimes i just don't get it. !!

Carlos

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.