AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that upgrade their PDP's regularly and resell their old displays on Ebay or the like, what kind of resale valued have you been able to get?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Nary to disappoint but if resale value is a factor, you're not really in the Plasma market... ;)

The typical upgrade path for Plasma owners is moving the previous display into the bedroom.

Cheers,

·
Registered
674 Posts
Actually when I bought mine it went straight into my bedroom. If I ever buy a new plasma, which is unlikely, then that would be in the living room. Staying on topic, I concur, that resale is just not something on most of our minds when purchasing a unit. However, to try and answer your question, if you keep your unit for a year you should expect to only get a 50-60% return on your investment. After two years, i would venture to say somewhere in the 30-50% range depending on model and features. After three years, 20% or less. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
860 Posts
You can do better than that on Ebay or Audiogon. If it is any plasma released in the past 12 months, it retains value fairly well, at least through those channels. If it is a very old model though, you won't find much interest. The key is that the model be recognizable to the prospective buyer as a current or near current model. Everyone wants the latest in plasmas. Six month old plasmas routinely sell for 80% of the best online street price on Ebay. Year old plasmas 50-70% depending on the seller. Beyond that it drops WAY off.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was hoping for about 50% depreciation per year, and not like 90% depreciation.. it's good enough for me. I'd like to sell my current $4000 plasma for about $2000-2500 in a year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.