AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this the main disadvantage to buying a plasma over a lcd? The resolution is lower therefore the image is not as sharp as lcds?

·
Registered
388 Posts
the resolution is the same. A 1080p set is a 1080p set regardless of is putting out the picture.

Buy whatever you think looks better. And the technology that fits your personal space (dark VS light viewing area, ETC) Personally in most cases I think a plasma looks better than a LCD/LED/RPTV/ETC

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekle /forum/post/18281671

the resolution is the same. A 1080p set is a 1080p set regardless of is putting out the picture.

Buy whatever you think looks better. And the technology that fits your personal space (dark VS light viewing area, ETC) Personally in most cases I think a plasma looks better than a LCD/LED/RPTV/ETC

Resolution

Code:

LCD density Plasma density (Diag. In.) (pixels/sqin) (pixels/sqin) 21 4175 22 4457 30 2557 37 1794 1261 42 (E) 543(E) 42 1392 1044 42 1391(A) 45 2397 50 982 55 1603 811 61 660 63 619 65 580 71 963 (E) - EDTV version, (A) - ALIS model Please note that to achieve these numbers I generally took the highest density unit I could find in the market even if lesser ones were available for each of the diagonal inches shown.

Summary: LCD's reached 1080p first and they generally pack more pixels per square inch as can be seen from the table above. This all means that overall LCD probably provide sharper pictures than plasma although there are some other factors involved in providing sharpness.

according to this post
http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...&post6106838

I have always thought plasmas looked more pixelated than lcds, but i haven't seen that many nice plasmas outside of a retail store.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Some LCD computer displays are higher resolution, but 1080p is 1080p.

Plasmas generally do use dithering in order to reproduce more colors, and that can make the image appear less sharp.

LCDs also have a tendency to over-process the image which can result in an false sharper image.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Perceived sharpness on flat panel displays is mostly a matter of resolution, pixel-size (eg a 1080p 50" will have smaller pixels than a 1080p 60"), edge enhancement, contrast and gamma. The type of screen material and screen-coating can also have an effect.

From normal viewing distances I find little to no inherent sharpness advantage to either LCD or plasma. When you get up close, LCD will look sharper as they don't produce the dithering "noise" that plasma does.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I cant comment on the tech behind LCD/LED vs. plasma; but after having had both, I do believe that, overall, the plasma image is a bit more "soft." However, I think that color reproduction/accuracy/black levels are superior when viewed via a plasma panel. Its basically a trade-off as I see it.

Now, having said this, the Samsung LED I owned prior did have black levels rivaling that of the plasma and was almost "3D" in terms of image contrast/clarity/reproduction, but the backlighting artifacts were just too noticeable on the LED. Hence, my decision to go with the plasma at this time.

But, to answer your question directly, no...I do not consider image "clarity" the main difference between the two platforms, at least when viewing HD content. To me, the main difference is durability/user friendliness. What I mean is, I consider plasma a bit more, umm, "touchy"/delicate vs LCD/LED televisions due to its tendency for burn-in, relatively long "break-in" periods and the need for more fragile handling. However, once again, the reproduction of blacks and "natural" color are the essential nature of plasmas. Again, this is a trade-off. Keep in mind that the viewing angle of LCD is generally inferior to that of plasmas. Something else to consider.

If you want more "pop" in your image, a bit more durability/less finicky panel and can live with potential backlighting issues, go with an LCD/LED. If you want something closer to CRT color accuracy, enjoy a more "natural" image and can live with issues such as potential burn-in and relatively long "break in" periods, go with plasma. Personally, while I do like the "pop" associated with LCD(LED)...at the same time admiring the "accuracy" of plasmas, my decision to go with plasma was mainly due to my desire for better reproduction of blacks and no backlighting issues. In this category, I have not seen an equal (as of yet).

After all is said and done though, brand/reliability/LCD/LED/plasma notwithstanding, let your eyes be the judge.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Plasmas display a more natural, realistic picture. If you don't like realism, then LCD is the way to go. It has more brightness, sharpness, motion flow, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts