AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That global report does not sort out what the LCD figures were for panels in the over 40 inch sizes, where Plasma panels compete.

There are massive amounts of small LCD panels sold, in sizes where Plasma does not compete. That is common knowledge, so just posting a cumulative total, without extracting the figures for the larger LCD panels, does not provide any real comparison.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have to agree with greenland on this one. While its obvious that LCD's are still the majority, those numbers are looking at all sizes, not just those that plasma even compete in. (and lets face it, the large tv market is going to be much smaller/more enthusiast then tv's under 40")

All in all I think its good to see plasma's still doing well, dont know why anyone would want to see only 1 type of technology around, not just in tv's for that matter.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I have to agree, why people want one particular technology to "win" is beyond me. I want choice and have both and LCD and a Plasma in my house. I enjoy each for different reasons.

·
Registered
203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 /forum/post/17036554

I have to agree, why people want one particular technology to "win" is beyond me. I want choice and have both and LCD and a Plasma in my house. I enjoy each for different reasons.

They want to "win" so they can feel that their choice is being validated. What really happens when 1 format wins is that we, the consumer, lose. Competition keeps prices honest.

·
Registered
6,183 Posts

Quote:

+1

Both have their advantages/disadvantages. There's too many cheerleaders on this board wanting everyone to do the same thing they do so that it makes them feel better.

·
Registered
6,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland /forum/post/17032795

That global report does not sort out what the LCD figures were for panels in the over 40 inch sizes, where Plasma panels compete...

Right. I don't think it's a fair comparison counting TVs under 40"s as that would tip the scales in favor of LCD.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Quote:

Well said. When the perfect display arrives. It will be less than perfect.

Plasma has taken a lot of smack talk from archaic thinking. Lcd's downside is overlooked or glossed over. If the oppurtunity arives, try both. Only then will you know which is the best fit solution for you.

Plasma is being optimized, and with more acceptance, gains more playing field, which is well deserved.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think people enjoy watching people walk across the screen rather than time travel to the end. Sounds good but I'm glad more energy efficient plasmas will improve once again so you can get superior picture and not drain all the energy on the planet.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland /forum/post/17032156

http://hdguru.com/q2-plasma-hdtv-sal...cd-volume/468/

Plasma sales up 31% in unit sales, and 35% in dollars volume. 40inch and up LCD sales were flat, while revenues declined.

I want to remind people that this thread is about Sales in the USA, in the second quarter. What the global picture is may be much different, and we do not know if large Plasmas are even widely available in all countries. I would expect that some of the poorer regions of the globe, who used to depend on small tube sets, are probably still settling for small LCD displays.

Another word of caution; the sales jump for the second quarter may be a one off event, that only applies to the USA.

Keep in mind that a lot of sales were probably driven by the Digital conversion deadline. Stores, such Sears and BB, even used that deadline to run with a $599.99 Panasonic 42 inch plasma sale, to draw conversion deadline shoppers to their stores. It may even have been a loss leader sales tool.

I would not be at all suprised to see 3rd and 4th quarter sales of both LCD and Plasma sales figures, for the USA, drop considerably, now that the conversion has been accomplished, and owners have either gone the conversion box route, or purchased a new TV.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/17039354

Probably need a Cash For CRT program.

Thats not gonna happen unless they are union, loyal party memebers or both.

P.S. I think I just heard a knock at the door.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since all TV production has been outsourced to other countries, American unions, or the political party they back would receive no benefit from such a program, so can we please stop taking the thread off topic, just to make completely false political statements.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Glad to read that sales figures fo Plasma are up in the U.S. I don't much care for what happens to LCD but I am sure there will always be a market for them; for example small bedroom's and RV's and for people who play lots of NES or SNES games. I have to admit it is a little nice to know that I can hit pause on Super Mario 3, leave to get something to eat, come back and have almost no concern of uneven subpixel wear or even burn-in. Other than that, LCD's make decent computer/laptop monitors and displays for airports and the MVD.

Still, I wouldn't own one but I can see why some people would, as for me HD CRT's up until +40", then plasma all the way. LCD tends to hurt my eyes for some reason, the polarized light looks bright but yet "dark" to me, it is weird, it's like even though the picture is bright it's missing many of the angular components of the EM waves being let through the LC matrix, which makes sense since the light emitted from an LCD TV is polarized. That and motion, black level, ad infinitum....

Good to hear about plasma doing a little better, I am doing my part to discourage LCD purchases where I work, when appropriate. I mean I am not going to outright say Plasma is better for everything, but, if the customer is not a gamer or doesn't plan on using the TV as an HTPC monitor 24/7 then I recommend Plasma. Oh yeah, latest "rumor" from the retail "frontlines", apparently customers are now trying to tell me that Plasma is only good for 10,000 hours, then they "burn-out" (the image becomes too dark and basically worthless). Where does this come from, which companies are pushing this garbage info about plasma? What did Plasma ever do to them

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you,

I am Richer Martyn,

I like the information you shared. I extremely thank you. Be connected with me and help after this time also.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
My personal experience with Plasma says that burn-in is NOT an issue from the past. In our cafeterias and coffee break rooms at work we have two or more Plasmas per room, 50" sets in the break rooms and larger 65" or 68" sets in the cafeterias, hanging from ceiling mounts with all wiring concealed in the suspended ceilings. These are Plasma sets (three different brand labels) that respond to remote controls chained to the walls. These are used to view the company teleconferences when these are being broadcast, and otherwise are kept on either CNN Headline News or Fox Business News, both standard definition 4:3 feeds. Those are the only available choices with everything else blocked, because we used to have problems with people viewing soap operas for an extra half hour or hour per day.

Although some break rooms have the sets turned off when no teleconferences are broadcast (the room numbers get published so people can find the few precious refuges with no video) in almost all cases, one or both of the 4:3 feeds are in use for approximately 10 hours per day, 5 days per week. Since both HLN and FBN like to scroll stock tickers or news tickers in the bottom of the screen, the feeds are not zoomed or stretched but use black sidebars.

The oldest sets are slightly more than five years old. Those in newly constructed or newly remodelled campus buildings are less than 2 years old.

===> All of these sets display some degree of uneven wear, with the sidebar areas brighter than the 4:3 section of the center of the screen. We can see this during teleconferences which are fed via video and are 16:9. The newer sets are better than the oldest ones, but the problem can be seen on all and is most apparent on the 5 year old TVs that have never been exchanged for repair purposes.

One of the three brands of Plasma in use has a feature where the 4:3 center image "orbits" slightly so that the edges of the 4:3 area are not constantly stable. The uneven wear is still plainly visible but with a less distinct border.

I do not believe that any AVS member would abuse his expensive Plasma set the way these at my workplace are abused. But I also do not believe that modern Plasmas are immune to burn-in or uneven wear.

If you disagree with my assertion I propose a simple test. Find a Plasma manufacturer that offers warranty coverage for uneven wear. The manufacturers know more than anybody about the technology. Every owner's manual for every Plasma set I ever read has disclaimers about viewing 4:3 materials for extended periods. My experience says the warnings are valid and that this remains a topic for genuine concern.

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy /forum/post/17053054

If you disagree with my assertion I propose a simple test. Find a Plasma manufacturer that offers warranty coverage for uneven wear. The manufacturers know more than anybody about the technology. Every owner's manual for every Plasma set I ever read has disclaimers about viewing 4:3 materials for extended periods. My experience says the warnings are valid and that this remains a topic for genuine concern.

Those warnings are also in several LCD manuals also. Go check out your Samsung manual.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
The difference is that the only LCD sets that ever get burned are those with defective panel drivers that have a degree of DC offset that degrades the liquid crystals. That is a thankfully very rare, almost unknown failure mode. But every plasma set experiences uneven wear at a rate proportional to duty cycle and brightness settings, due to phosphor aging.

By the time any AVS Plasma owner has the hours on their sets to see such uneven wear, they will be years past the warranty anyway.

Incidentally, the swings in sales figures IMHO reflect nothing more than a sick economy and retailers that are cutting margins into the single digit range to acheive the minimum unit numbers required by their purchase agreements with the Chinese and Korean manufacturers. The result is entry-level bigscreens in both technologies that are well below $1000 for 40" and 42" 1080p HDTVs. The LCD manufacturers responded to the upswing in Plasma sales by cutting prices to match. In this morning's paper I see major name brand LCDs with pricing such as $1250 for a 52" and $1100 for a 46" 120Hz model. That retail pricing is even lower than the (already impressive) Plasma and LCD pricing I saw at Costco within the past week.

The problem is that slim margins like this are not good for B&M retail stores, or for big box stores, or for HDTV manufacturers. They cannot remain viable for long with such depressed pricing. I think the surge of HDTV purchases brought about by the end of analog TV is subsiding, and next year there will be half as many brand labels as today. There will be fewer than half the actual choices we have today - because many brands will be reduced to labels and logo's applied to contract-manufactured sets by the 3-4 surviving actual manufacturers in China and Korea.

Take advantage of good pricing while you can is my reccomendation. Next year there will be fewer B&M stores, fewer sets to choose from, and prices that are creeping upwards again. US currency inflation is already happening and the exchange rates are changing to match.

Buy now, buy big, and enjoy whatever HDTV you bring home. It may never be as good as today for years to come.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.