Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have the new 7u series plasma from panasonic (like many of you!). I was wondering what's the best way to clean the screen without damaging anti-glare/anti-reflective coating. I'm looking at the following options:

1. Eyeglass cleaning liquid from walmart

2. Endust cleaning and dusting spray

3. Distilled water

4. Tap water

Anybody would like to suggest the best option .. or pros and cons?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Hello,

None of those.

What does the manufacturer instructions say? I would follow those instructions first.

Here's my rundown of the presented choices:

1. Potentially damaging to the screen coating

2. Leaves an oily residue that will be visible and possibly detrimental to the screen coating

3. Safest of the choices but still may "streak" unless sparingly applied

4. Less safe than distilled water

I would "dry" clean with a microfiber cloth unless there is some substance stuck to the screen. If something is stuck to the screen I would use a little distilled water and a very, very soft baby diaper.

Best regards,

Paul

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paul! Quite useful post ...

Well, I'm surprized only one person responded ... can't believe how people can live with dirty plasmas ;) ... no cleaning tips?

·
Registered
335 Posts
The microfiber cloth is a good choice...same thing used to polish/clean camera lenses and also lacquer finishes such as the ones on guitars. Not sure how much they cost at a camera store, but I've bought the ones for guitar finishes for $2. I'm almost positive it's the same thing.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
As I've stated in this forum many times, a plasma screen should be cared for like a camera lens. Never, ever, use wood based products: paper towels, tissue paper, etc.

I'm not sure what other people do.

It's nearly impossible of course, but the best defense is to never touch or let someone else touch the screen.

Paul

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pj2004 ... I'm sure microfiber cloth is great .. but which liquid do you use ... I have a few spots (oily hands I guess) .. not sure if the cloth alone will do the job ...

·
Registered
335 Posts
As the others said, liquid isn't something you should use on the screens. The microfiber cloth is good by itself, and won't leave a residue. If there are things stuck to the screen then you wouldn't want to rub it with a cloth because then the junk could stick to the cloth and scratch the screen. I use the microfiber for my guitars as well as the screens, and never had to use any sort of liquid to get great results.

·
Super Moderator
21,698 Posts
as Paul pointed out in another thread:

the only liquid to use (if you have to use a liquid at all) is filtered water: I had a problem with a Sony LCD and everything I tried made it worse:

what worked was filtered water (from a Brita pitcher) ;add a touch of mild soap if necessary, and a LIGHT use of a microfiber cloth

·
Registered
264 Posts
i'm not really sure about plasma screens, but you don't want to use any kind of water on a camera lens.

isopropyl alcohol is usually best. be sure it's at least 90% and not the 60-70% that rubbing alcohol is. if it's something oily you may want to try some xylene.

again, i've no idea about plasma screens, but the two things above work for camera lenses. (keyed in on paul's comment ;))

oh, be sure to apply a small amount of the solution to the cleaning cloth(not directly to the screen) and wipe from the bottom up - you don't want the solution leaking into the display.

·
Registered
440 Posts
From the manual:

"The front of the screen has been specially treated. Wipe the panel surface gently using only a cleaning cloth or a soft, lint-free cloth. If the surface is particularly dirty, wipe with a cloth soaked in pure water or water to which a small amount of natural detergent has been added, and then wipe it evenly with a dry clotth of the same type until the surface is dry."

Distilled water and a mircofiber cloth is what I have used for 3 years now. My brother-in law put half a palm print on my new one yesterday when we mounted it. I used the Apple laptop screen cleaner and new mircofiber towel to clean it. It worked perfectly and is very mild.

If you don't screw around with these things they don't get dry. Nothing like the static attraction problem of a CRT.

·
Registered
691 Posts
What about products like Monster ScreenClean, that claim to be safe, alcohol-free, that does not streak, stain, or leave a film or residue?

Mike

·
Super Moderator
21,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike52
What about products like Monster ScreenClean, that claim to be safe, alcohol-free, that does not streak, stain, or leave a film or residue?

Mike
I bought that kit: when you read the fine print on the bottle you will realize it is still risky to try it:

I thew away the bottle of liquid cleaner but kept the cloth

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thanks Mark. I'll take a look... OK. I'll save it and use it on my old CRTs.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
21,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jrock65
Where's a good place to get these microfiber cloths? (online or B&M)
got mine at auto supply house (AutoZone)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for your great responses and insight. (My comment regarding people living with dirty plasmas did provocate your answers I guess ;) )

Well, yesterday I cleaned my plasma with cloth, and it did a good job. I have a Fellows cleaning cloth which I got from Office Max .... free after rebate .. which otherwise is a rip off for 5 bucks (.... it barely is anything ...)

After I cleaned the screen, while the TV being of, I changed my viewing angles, and saw the screen very-very closely (6-12" distance). I observed that there was a pattern like desert sand spread uniformly all over the screen. These patterns distinguished themselves from the jet-black background due to their reflected brownish-black tinge.

.. Now I might be hyper ... but is it normal, or did my cloth screw up the screen??

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have children, one of whom we cloth diapered, so I have TONS of these things. They work for cleaning plasmas. Chinese tufted cotton. Get them from weebees.com or another online diaper outlet. They are absolutely the perfect wiping rag for just about everything. Dusting, blowing your nose, applying ArmorAll, name it. One of the great all-purpose products.

As for liquid, I use, to be honest, spit. Saliva contains small amounts of boric acid, which is a good cleaning agent. I found out how effective spit is when, after having a meeting in my office, I wanted to clean off the fingerprints my coworkers left on my monitor. They just wouldn't wipe off with a napkin. I had no windex. So, PO'd, I just spit on the screen and it cleaned off right sparkly like. Just don't let anyone see you doing it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
does plasma tv ever get dusty?

I've had mine for about 2-3 months and have been afraid to clean it.

It does not appear to have much dust from what I can tell.

My old CRT used to get very dusty and required a weekly cleaning.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.