AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice on installing plasma screens in to plasterboard (dry lining).

will heavy duty wall anchors be sufficent for a 43" plasma screen? or will I have to install cross members in the stud partition wall?

I hope these terms are ok as I situated in the UK

Thanks

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,598 Posts
Macka,

It's risky business hanging any 70 lb. object on a sheetrock wall using any type of expandable anchor. Speculatively, if your wall mount has more than 4 mounting holes, (6 or 8) and they are spread far apart, AND you use anchors that are both sized right and are the type that are expanding as you tighten them in, AND you do a careful job of it all.......,

...........I'd still worry.

Your sheetrock application is in fact unusual for the UK. I do business there & in the EU and either Wood Lathe & Plaster or Plaster over Stone is the norm. Would that more homes in the UK, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, etc., use Stick framing and Drywall, I could do exponentially more.

I'd advise measuring the location of your Framing and installing at least 1/2 your anchors within them, but I'll bet your problem there is that your framing is on 24" OC (.75 meters). If that is the case, than I strongly advise cutting a piece of Plywood to just enough size to both span the gap between the framing and accommodate your wall Bracket's mounting holes. Attach it via screws directly into the Studs. If your location for hanging the Plasma is of center to this reference, then bu attaching the Plywood to any stud you can, and then shooting your other anchors through both the Plywood and the Sheetrock should give you the support you need from at least one point .

Lastly, if the idea of adding the thickness of a Plywood panel to your installation is repugnant, then if you can attach the plywood to the studs, do so after having cut out the Drywall to allow the Plywood to be flush.

Simply cut out the Plywood to size, Hold it in place temporarily with screws, mark it's outline on the wall, remove it, cut out the marked area, insert the Plywood and attach to the studs with screw. Now you can either, refinish the edges and paint so the wall looks original, or just paint the Plywood and trim the raw adjoining edges with a thin, flat trim.

If I was doing it for a Client, I'd always opt to "flush in" the Mounting board. In Fact, with framing available, I usually recess the PDP into a Shadow Box enclosure that is as deep as, and 4" wider all around than the PDP's casing. Looks very flush and cool. (see attached Photo )

Maurice

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.