AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your experience with Plasma screens been? How long have Plasma screens been on the market?

I was interested in the new Philips 42" Ambilight Plasma Screen from BB for $2500 bucks...

I was talking to the RadioShack (remember, I live up in the mountains/country) about a Satelite hookup with DishNetwork... he said he'd rather have an LCD vs. a plasma screen because "The plasma screen only has a lifespan of 5-6 years with average use"?

I thought the screens were better than that now? The BB guy told me you should get 50-60K hours with a plasma screen...

So what's the real deal with plasma?

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Whoa, what the RatShack guy says is NOT true, your BB guy is closer, but still wrong. With the latest model plasmas, you're talking 60,000 hours until half brightness. That means if you watch for 8 hours a day, 365 days a year, in 20 years, your plasma will be 1/2 as bright as it is today. And that will still be very bright.

This myth/rumor has been spread way too long. Never, ever get your electronics info from anyone at RS, BB, CC, only here!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Simply put, most plasma's will last longer than you probably want them too....

I would guess, over tha course of a year, even with heavy use, maybe the avg consumer averages 5 hours per day...making Jacksonian's estimate low...

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBFreek
Simply put, most plasma's will last longer than you probably want them too....
Absolutely! You're talking a set lasting for 30-40 years. And who would want a TV that lasted that long? I want all of my TV's to self-destruct in 1.8 years. That's about the amount of time I can go before I'm dying to upgrade. :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sorry, jacksonian.... I beat you by 0.8 of a year.

I've just upgrade my Panny 42" to a 50px500U... ;-)

And I only want the px500 to last for the next 5 yrs MAX!

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
That's funny. The only reason I'm keeping the 42" Panny is because it fits perfectly in the closet door frame in my exercise room. I'll take a picture of it, it's like it was made for the spot. But I think that will be the smallest plasma in the house from here on out.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I just want to add to the chorus, because this myth refuses to die.

A plasma purchased today will last more than 20 years for nearly everyone. And it will be replaced much sooner than that by nearly everyone.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I'd bet these Plasmas and LCD's are going to be failing due to power supply and other electronic module problems long before the Plasma cells or backlights fail.

Backlight or cell failures are no longer issues worth addressing.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
what about burn in? I am getting LCD tv mainly because I will be using with PC and running MCE on it, I don't want Start logo burn in after a year of use

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_1080p
I'd bet these Plasmas and LCD's are going to be failing due to power supply and other electronic module problems long before the Plasma cells or backlights fail.

Backlight or cell failures are no longer issues worth addressing.
The 65in. 1080p Panny has grabbed my attention. Do you know what

the probability of a single pixel going out after the first 30 days of use?

I don't think it is likely but this something that has me a bit worried...

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas
what about burn in? I am getting LCD tv mainly because I will be using with PC and running MCE on it, I don't want Start logo burn in after a year of use
I'd honestly say that's probably the single reason to get an LCD. If you wll be running a lot of Windows, you'll benefit from sleeping at night knowing the burn-in risk isn't low with an LCD, but zero (barring one of those freak LCD incidents that are too rare to take seriously as a concern).

Most people's TVs aren't used much as monitors, so plasma's burn-in risk is sufficiently low to be a non-factor. But PC use has some obnoxious static elements that are too much to risk a $2000-5000 TV on. So if PC use is, say, 25% of your usage or more, you'd probably be a bit better served by an LCD.

EDITED: to replace one ref to plasma with LCD per post below.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo
you'll benefit from sleeping at night knowing the burn-in risk isn't low with a plasma, but zero .
It's early morning here on the east coast, but I found this phrase made more sense if I replace the word plasma with LCD.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Has anyone here had a plasma for more than 4-5 years?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by price3
Has anyone here had a plasma for more than 4-5 years?
It's more of an "hours used" thing than a "years hanging on the wall" thing ...

I've got almost 6,000 hours on a Panasonic TH-37PW5U ... no burn in, no problems, and it's still bright enough that I still have brightness and contrast at 50%. At 4 hours per day each and every day that works out to about 4 years ...

I think there are some folks around who have closer to 10K on their Plasmas.

As folks keep saying - it's a non-issue.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by semigolfer
It's early morning here on the east coast, but I found this phrase made more sense if I replace the word plasma with LCD.
Corrected.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyedog

I've got almost 6,000 hours on a Panasonic TH-37PW5U ... no burn in, no problems, and it's still bright enough that I still have brightness and contrast at 50%. At 4 hours per day each and every day that works out to about 4 years ...

Right, hours used, not time on wall.

And keep in mind, any plasmas from 2001 are "obsolete" as far as lifespan is concerned. Those were 20,000 - 30,000 hour models, not 60,000 hour models.

Even those old ones will probably offer up a good decade of use. But the newer ones will go at least twice that far as concerns the panel / phosphor portion. Mark_1080p's post about other failure applies to all electronic devices and is right on.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
With such a long lifespan, and with so many upgrading to larger panels as prices drop, there should be a pretty lively used plasma market soon, at least among those who have real knowledge of the display.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do you start a timer every time you turn on your tv?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyedog

·
Registered
30,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btinl
Do you start a timer every time you turn on your tv?
Most plasma sets have them built in. All you have to do is punch up the info.

Kal

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.