AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if there is a problem handing a plasma above a fireplace? It would be 2-3 feet away, but when the fireplace is really hot it does give off heat in the area where the plasma would be. Would I need an extra fan?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Check the manufacturers specs on the temp. range that the Plasma set is safe to operate in. Put a indoor heat gauge up where you want to place the panel, and have the fire on at the level it will be burning and giving off heat. Your gauge will tell you if it exceeds the upper range of temp. that your set specs says it is safe to operate at.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
We've had a plasma mounted over our fireplace for about four years and have had no heat problems, however, we only build fires occasionally. FYI, the area above our mantel is at most 2-3 degrees higher than the rest of the room.

-Steve

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Pulling a thread out for more dialogue: thinking about doing this for my flatpanel in the near future.

My fireplace actually doesn't emit as much heat outward towards humans as I'd like.

which makes me believe it is flowing upwards.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
My concern with mounting above the fireplace would be smoke and soot damage. If you have a real wood fireplace, everyone occasionally has a little smoke billowing outward once in a while before the updraft in the flue gets going properly. I know a lot of people like the fireplace mounting scheme aesthetically, but I just wouldn't want to take chances like that with my plasma TV.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM /forum/post/12196598

Pulling a thread out for more dialogue: thinking about doing this for my flatpanel in the near future.

My fireplace actually doesn't emit as much heat outward towards humans as I'd like.

which makes me believe it is flowing upwards.

well, heat DOES rise...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.