AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone pleeease explain this to me: the majority of big plasma buyers must use or want to use surround sound, which requires a (usually ugly) center speaker. Just about every plasma come with a GIANT CENTER SPEAKER built in (2 actually). Why in the world can't you use these built in center speakers as the center of a 5.1 setup??? Is it some corporate conspiracy backed by the speaker people? I'm trying to figure out where to put my bulky center speaker while my Panasonic's elegantly incorporated speakers stare at me tauntingly!

My real question is this: can I get a speaker wire to go from my receiver's Center Output to the TV's Audio In (RCA)? Since the TV's speakers are stereo, I could theoretically send the same signal to both. If it was RCA to RCA I would be comfortable with trying it, but the genius at Best Buy got me worried I might blow the TV. Anyone know if this is worth a shot and why the hell this plan isn't industry standard?

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
This is no conspiracy, every plasma tv has a set or very tiny crappy speakers that are far from suitable for a center channel in any halfway decent 5.1 home theater. In theory though, some tv's will let you play audio through their speakers, often times though, they wont play anything unless they receive a video signal from that same source. The genius at best buy was either confused or got you confused about blowing the tv. This plan isnt an industry standard because it is a very poor solution, sorry, but it is.

*edit, I didnt notice that you were actually wanting to use the AMPLIFIED signal from your receiver to your PREAMP inputs on your tv. The genius at BB was right to tell you not to do that. For someone who doesnt know much about home entertainment, you would be wise to loosen up a bit.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
It always amazes me that people will spend $4k on a TV, then come here wanting the best possible sound for less than $500. I assume the built in speakers are for people who want to spend no money on sound. Nothing wrong with that - people would laugh at my crappy TV, but it is OK for me.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd /forum/post/0

It always amazes me that people will spend $4k on a TV, then come here wanting the best possible sound for less than $500. I assume the built in speakers are for people who want to spend no money on sound. Nothing wrong with that - people would laugh at my crappy TV, but it is OK for me.

I always wondered the oppposite, why there aren't TV's with NO speakers. That would work in better with a lot of our HTs and should be less expensive because it has fewer parts. I don't even use the tuner in my TV, let alone the speakers.

·
Registered
30,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthree /forum/post/0

I always wondered the oppposite, why there aren't TV's with NO speakers. That would work in better with a lot of our HTs and should be less expensive because it has fewer parts. I don't even use the tuner in my TV, let alone the speakers.

Buy a monitor. No speakers, no tuner. Works for me.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthree /forum/post/0

Funny, but I have three televisions that don't have speakers, so I guess they make them. One is an NEC pro CRT monitor, one is a Mits DLP front projector, and one is an LG 42" HD plasma.

BTW, one of the current discussions among us Industry Giants, Legends, and Icons concerns consumers or installers doing nice video gear, and then using cheap speakers and low-end receivers, even in high-end jobs. Maureen at Home Theater talks about it, Brent at Home Entertainment, and the Widescreen folks, too. It's a sin. I'm wondering how many of you have nice flat panel displays, and $500 total in speakers...or are you using your TV's speakers for center channel?

·
Registered
934 Posts
I know a lot of folks with expensive TVs and no separate audio components - it's all about lifestyle and priorities. Also, the difference going from a $5000 TV down to a $1000 set is pretty significant imo. Every thousand dollar plateau is significant in fact. I think with speakers the point of diminishing returns kicks in a lot sooner. You don't have the equivalent of companies like Ascend selling great PQ 50" plasmas for $1200.

To the OPs point - gotta wonder why he bought a TV with speakers if he didn't want 'em. A little research goes a long way.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good points all of them. i'm outgunned here clearly. i do have decent speakers in my system, but i am also a slave to asthetics and the placement of the built-in speakers is just too perfect to ignore as a center speaker solution. especially if mounted on the wall. i would love to own and mount a Plasma TV with a good built in center speaker. i guess i will just have to continue to dream.

·
Registered
30,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestyle /forum/post/0

good points all of them. i'm outgunned here clearly. i do have decent speakers in my system, but i am also a slave to asthetics and the placement of the built-in speakers is just too perfect to ignore as a center speaker solution. especially if mounted on the wall. i would love to own and mount a Plasma TV with a good built in center speaker. i guess i will just have to continue to dream.

Never happen. However, there are MANY companies that make decent speakers that are designed blend into the visual image of the plasma. Some sound decent, at least compared with built-in plasma speakers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.