AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as many already know, I am preparing for a new hdtv to arrive (50v10, unless i change the order). I am curious as to what type of surge protection to use, as I am now hearing about line conditioning and power backups. Can anyone lead me to some good info on this stuff, or explain what each does and where to find one? I dont really wanna spend much more than 100 dollars and i wanna know if both are really necessary

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump...any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I have both Belkin and APC Uninterrupted Power Supplies with line conditioning and surge protection. They cost under $100 each. Sorry for the reply in the other thread. I thought you were asking a theoretical question as opposed to a practical one.

I'll check the model numbers in a bit

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great, thanks. And do you think i REALLY need both of those things? I would've thought a normal surge protector with protection guarantee would cover me

·
Registered
112 Posts
I can say from my experience that the brand is good quality. I've been using one of these for a couple of years now and I'm very happy with it.

Granted I bought primarily for my DVR (makes the remote response time much better, no kidding) & PC but of course I've had my tv plugged into it as well.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bought the one i mentioned...has a 125,000 warranty for my stuff, and works even in a blackout!!! that is pretty badass. Anyways, thanks for the help and let me know if i should know anything else. Current plAN is to hook everything into that guy

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It's not going to work in a full blackout. It will give you a few minutes to shut off the tv/ provide steady power in brownouts or brief power outs so your set isn't hit by constant voltage jumps/cycling on and off. If you want one that will give you some serious blackout usage, you'd need to get one of the 1000W/2000W ones like those crazy things I listed. I know some people who have them. They're cool I guess so you can watch TV when the power's out, but they're expensive and batteries eventually need to be replaced. Not trying to sound negative since this will pretty much be standard fare for most battery backups that are affordable, just trying to make sure you've got a good sense of expectation for what it can/can't do.

Also you probably want to keep the TV separate from other appliances you don't really care about. The more things you have on, the less time you'll get on the battery. If you have too much plugged in, you won't get any time and it'll just switch off because you'll burn through the juice immediately so be mindful the wattage it's rated for and how much you plug in. Typically, the "standard time" they're rated for is for 1/2 wattage load. Some also have a rating for full-load battery life. Try to hook nonessential things to other surge protectors etc...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok...cool. i knew it wouldnt just work forever in a blackout. That thing should be all i need though, right?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yep... just read the terms of the warranty carefully. Some of them require you to register it and the equipment you're connecting it to in order to be covered under their insurance policy. Read the fine print.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.