AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topic has probably been discussed endless times before so I will ask for your pardon.

I have Plasma taste with Direct view Budget. My viewing room is 14 X20 ft, seating is ~ 8-10 ft from screen, I have Satelite and Aerial antenna feeds. I watch News, Sports and Movies, DVD, VHS, pay per view and regular TV. My budget is $1500.00 and would like a decent HD ready set. Been looking at Sony and Panasonic. Could you provide some info and direction regarding my pending purchase??

Appreciatively, zzaj

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I own and recommend F-38310 by RCA in your range of money. Inside view is 19 inches high by 33.25 inches wide. Built in Direct TV reciever. 1280 X 1080= 1,382,400 pixel screen that is integrated with a DTC-100 Line Doubler.:)

Until we and Don Berg buy a plasma, mine will be a 50 inch(25H and 43.75 inches W). I only have about 10 feet from the wall across from me, and me laying in my warp 9 movie watching position on my lounger. :D

·
Registered
365 Posts
It depends on what you want. 16:9 is adviseable nowadays if you watch movies and want to be ready for more and more HD shows as they come out. Put a 2.35:1 dvd (ie Lord of the Rings) on a 4:3 set and you'll see why 16:9 is a good idea. Nowadays, the stretch modes are so good (and even if they're not, you get used to them quickly believe it or not) on 16:9 sets that there's almost no reason to get a 4:3 unless you plan on replacing the set in 3 years anyway. 16:9 just has more useable surface area for the real future of video.

Check out the RCA 38" at circuit city. perfect size and includes a directv/over the air digital tuner. They are selling it nowadays around $1500. Just get the extended warranty, since many of these had problems in the past -- you'll be covered perfectly that way.

Right now I have a Toshiba 34HF81 I got as a floor model.. 34" 16:9. Recently picked up a used RCA DTC100 tuner and have a beautiful performing system. I spent a total of around $1400 for everything.

If you shop, deals can be had. Check out the Toshiba and Sony 34" sets. You should be able to get either of them around $2k. Not as cheap as the RCA, but those are solid buys.

For 4:3, look at the Zenith 32" with a built in HDTV tuner. I hear its decent and falls in your price category. C32V23 is the model I think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your intelligent input. Can you provide the best URL for product reviews?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
You will not get a Sony (or Toshiba) for your allotted budget. I compared for several days before buying direct view over plasma. the plasma was $4000 to $7000 and the Sony 34RBR800 was less than $2000. And on an absolute basis, if the plasma gave a 'better' picture, it was only slight..to my eyes. Perhaps, in about 4-5 years will be the time to step and buy a 'thin' display of some sort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.