AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our new Panasonic 50" plasma tv (th50px50u model) will be delivered this monday and I have a few questions about inspecting the TV upon delivery. It was ordered from an online retailer (don't know if I can say from whom on this forum) and was shipped from California to Indiana this past week. It was sent by common carrier truck (Roadway Express). I noticed on the shipping invoice that there was a "Tip and Tell" indicator in the tv box which I guess will notify a customer that the TV was tipped over during shipment. Does anyone know what this indicator does exactly. Also, what else should I look for (e.g. box condition) before I accept the delivery? Any suggestions would be very helpful.

·
Registered
846 Posts
As I recall, the indicator arrow changes color if the package has been tipped. When I received my 50" plasma last year the indicator showed that it had been tipped, but everything was fine.

What else should you look for? Well....that the display is undamaged and that it works. Many forum members here have had the delivery guys wait until the top packaging is removed and the panel powered up. You can do this after removing the 2 top outer boxes while the display is still sitting on the packing base.

I didn't have the wisdom to do this when mine arrived and am happy that everything was OK, but in the future I'll make them wait until I power up the display and see what looks like a normal picture. I would have been heartbroken and felt really stupid if I had unpacked my display AFTER they left and found it damaged. As it turned out, I did feel stupid, but fortunately not heartbroken.

·
Registered
307 Posts
One of the heaviest components of a plasma display is the glass. The safest way to carry/ship such a large piece of glass is to minimize the forces exerted on its surface so that it's less likely to break. Since the most significant force in this case is gravity (and vertical motion due to bumps on the road), large pieces of glass are transported on their side (you must have seen glass delivery trucks on the highway ...)

The tip indicator simply tells you whether the box was kept upright at all times. If the indicator says the box was tipped, it's still quite likely that there is no damage. However, the indicator doesn't tell you whether it was tipped momentarily, or whether it was on its side all the way across the lower 48 (which would not be a good thing, potholes and all). In either case, the indication is the same. If the indicator is broken, note it on the invoice when you sign it, and try to open the box and inspect the glass while the delivery guy is there. If the glass is intact and there is a picture when you plug the PDP in, you can forget about the indicator and enjoy your new plasma!

Conversely, a panel may still be damaged in transit even if it was never tipped (for instance, the truck may go over a gigantic pothole at 70 mph). So, the indicator is not a foolproof thing. It just prompts you to be more careful in inspecting the panel before acceptance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just got my 42px500 on Thursday. I never knew about checking to see if it's been tipped or not. Fortunately mine came without a scratch on the box. When the van pulled up, I was waiting outside and when the driver opened the back, the box was tied in so securely that if the van flipped over, this tv wasn't going to move an inch. I'm extremely happy to say that once I got the plasma out of the box, everything was perfect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.