AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
no, the reason there are tvs, well i should say LCD's, with 120hz is so that they can attempt to fix the fax that LCDs are plagued by motion blur due to the physical limitation of the technology. A LCD pixel can only change so fast, so they figured, hey, lets double the refresh rate and see if that helps.....it doesnt.....then they thought, hey lets make up 'pretend fake' frames, and see if that helps...it doesnt....

the only real benefit of 120hz processing would be to be able to present 24p material (found only on bluray and hddvd) in its native format without having to do a 3:2 pulldown.

This particular model is a plasma screen, and are not plagued with motion blur, therefor there is no need to refresh it more than 60hz. some of them actually do 72hz or even 480hz!!! (or support it) so they are 24p compliant (aka divisible by 24) but usually only found in the high end plasma models.

This set will be perfect for sports and any other fast moving material....lcds are good for digital photo frames....

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxzrevman /forum/post/15476834

HELLO

i am planning on buying this tv http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e...w/99020342.htm

i am trying to find out what the HZ is on this model, i cant find it anywhere

we watch a lot of sports and action movies, so i was wondering

does the hz rate on plasma matter like it does on lcds??

should i even worry about it

thanks for any input

No. The HZ doesn't really matter for plasmas. Certainly not at all for sports. For movies there is a minor benefit to getting a plasma that supports refresh rates that are a multiple of 24 (ie, 48 or 72) but in my opinion the benefit is marginal and there are considerable tradeoffs and/or complexities involved in that.

Short answer is "don't even worry about it."

·
Registered
302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrumole /forum/post/15477291

some of them actually do 480hz!!!

No plasma does 480hz....your referring to Panasonics attempt to make 480hz seem better then 120hz that lcds are using. what is really happening with that 480z deal is simple....they simply divide the screen into 8 sections...each section refreshing at 60hz...so 60x8=480hz...the tv is still a 60hz display...the fastest refreshing plasma is pioneers which refreshes at 72hz

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, excellent replies guys

thanks a bunch

iv been out of the a/v loop for a few years now

and all the knowledge i had, which was considerable at the time

is now almost totally useless

btw, what do you guys think of that tv?

its rated #1 on consumer reports for the 50" models

·
Registered
889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxzrevman /forum/post/15478171

thanks a bunch

wouldn't even be on my list of plasmas to look at.

Pioneer or Panasonic are the only brands I would consider.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxzrevman /forum/post/15478171

thanks a bunch

It's a good TV. Very accurate color but the black levels are not up to similarly priced Panasonic models. It also has a terrible anti-glare screen so it's not a good choice for a bright room. The step-up PNA650 model has a much better screen coating.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts