AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Hitachi Plasma TV for almost 7 years, and it's still going strong. Generally how many more years can I expect it to last?

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
60,000 hrs seems to ring a bell. I think that is for when your display has half the brightness. Likely something else will fail before you get there. I think the newer models are now rated closer to 100k hours.

·
Registered
11,668 Posts
Half life on new plasmas are around 100,000 hours per the post above. In other words, that's 11.4 years if you leave your tv on 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I certainly don't do that, but 11.4 years sounds like a long time. I hear a bunch of numbers thrown around, Usually 7 to 10 years is what I hear, and that's with normal on and off use.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
to be honest, this is a question I don't think anybody could answer. there are ppl that for one reason or another are just 'hard' on electronics, and they may find their TV's fail every 2-3yrs. others, don't even realize they are babying their display and it'll last 20yrs no problems.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Does screen saver time count toward the panel's lifetime hours?

Sometimes I'll be relaxing in the HT room after dinner and get sleepy and just sort of close my eyes and fall asleep there on the couch. When I wake up the screen saver is on (and has been for hours). I usually do this a few times a month (it's very comfortable down there) so that would be an extra few hundred hours a year.

Since no picture is playing (just the little Samsung icon bouncing about) and the screen is otherwise black I wasn't sure if that would tax the screen the same way a full picture does.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
to be honest, this is a question I don't think anybody could answer. there are ppl that for one reason or another are just 'hard' on electronics, and they may find their TV's fail every 2-3yrs. others, don't even realize they are babying their display and it'll last 20yrs no problems.
Then you have the issue of a failure that can be fixed with a board replacement but only if you can find one. This happened to a friend of mine who had a Phillips display. It was only 3 years old and already the replacement board he needed wasn't available. So its not only the panel but also other components that may cause you to have to toss the display.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've had my Hitachi Plasma TV for almost 7 years, and it's still going strong. Generally how many more years can I expect it to last?

I have a Hitachi 42" plasma I've had for 6 years as well and it's still going strong. I didn't really have a good reason to upgrade to my Samsung 60" except we simply wanted a larger screen size.
I thought about selling it, but decided to hang into it & put the Hitachi in our spare room, being that plasmas are now extremely hard to come by.
Until OLED comes down to a reasonable price point, (Which won't happen for quite some time) I'll be all set for many years to come.

S5 tap'n

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
How do they do that?

·
Registered
97 Posts
On just about 10yrs with our old Samsung HP-S5053. It just got moved to the bedroom to make way for the new 64in plasma.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Just Don't Be Turning Your TV On And Off More Than You Have To

Well I certainly don't do that, but 11.4 years sounds like a long time. I hear a bunch of numbers thrown around, Usually 7 to 10 years is what I hear, and that's with normal on and off use.

I should think that if you don't abuse your Hitachi, then unless your TV becomes the victim of a close lightning strike, or some very unusual power surge, odds are good that it will give you another 7 years of faithful service.

BTW, in my opinion, one thing that constitutes abuse of a TV is turning it on and off multiple times a day. Powering up is the hardest thing on a TV, so I tend to turn sets on in the afternoon and leave them on til I go to bed. And, knock on wood, the large number of TVs I've owned over the last 40 years have needed extremely few repairs.

People worry too much about TVs raising their electric bill. About 3 years ago Consumer Reports noted that if the average cost of electricity in the U.S. is considered, a Panasonic 50" plasma they had tested, would use just $50 worth of electricity in a year with average use. I believe they defined average use as 6 hours a day, but I'm absolutely certain their calculation used a figure no less than 5 hours.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Generally these sets fail because some board or connector fails. The panel half-life is almost irrelevant.

Right. I agree with the advice of minimizing how often the set is turned off and on. Some sets even have a feature that allows you to turn the screen off while leaving the set on.

If a plasma set is babied and not the victim of some kind of power surge, I would think could last 10 years or more.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I should think that if you don't abuse your Hitachi, then unless your TV becomes the victim of a close lightning strike, or some very unusual power surge, odds are good that it will give you another 7 years of faithful service.

BTW, in my opinion, one thing that constitutes abuse of a TV is turning it on and off multiple times a day. Powering up is the hardest thing on a TV, so I tend to turn sets on in the afternoon and leave them on til I go to bed. And, knock on wood, the large number of TVs I've owned over the last 40 years have needed extremely few repairs.

People worry too much about TVs raising their electric bill. About 3 years ago Consumer Reports noted that if the average cost of electricity in the U.S. is considered, a Panasonic 50" plasma they had tested, would use just $50 worth of electricity in a year with average use. I believe they defined average use as 6 hours a day, but I'm absolutely certain their calculation used a figure no less than 5 hours.

No I definitely don't abuse it all. Heck I think the picture looks better than ever these days. My father had an LG plasma that lasted just under 5 years. It just decided not to turn on one day. From what I read online, his particular model was known to have circuit board failures. As for my electric bill, I doubt my plasma is contributing a lot. It's actually an energy star rated model.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Then you have the issue of a failure that can be fixed with a board replacement but only if you can find one. This happened to a friend of mine who had a Phillips display. It was only 3 years old and already the replacement board he needed wasn't available. So its not only the panel but also other components that may cause you to have to toss the display.
I wasn't really referring to any single component in particular. I'm not somebody that tends to get things fixed, unless I can do it myself. the way the market was, it didn't make any sense to spend 500bux to have a product diagnosed, when you could buy a superior one brand new for only a couple hundred more. I think it's the 'norm' to consider flat panels as non-repairable. My friend is a manager of the claims(warranty) department at a local shop, and she says they only repair about 10% of the claims.

if we were only talking the panel itself, I'd probably say the 60k-100k hr life span is a good rule of thumb. but it's far more likely some $3 cap blows on a board after 10k hrs, and something like that we just can't predict. and whether that cap will lead to a catastrophic failure, be easily diagnosed, etc, who knows.

Reactions: Super Eye and JimP

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
On just about 10yrs with our old Samsung HP-S5053. It just got moved to the bedroom to make way for the new 64in plasma.
Funny, I just did the same thing. My Panny 42" plasma is 10 years old and still working fine. I bought a new Sammy 60" plasma and moved the Panny to my bedroom. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Funny, I just did the same thing. My Panny 42" plasma is 10 years old and still working fine. I bought a new Sammy 60" plasma and moved the Panny to my bedroom. :)
Gave my in-laws a Panasonic plasma twelve years ago and it's still going strong.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts
Gave my in-laws a Panasonic plasma twelve years ago and it's still going strong.
I tried to give my 89-year-old mother-in-law my trusty old 2005 42" PX50U, but the old bat prefers the 40" Sony LCD that i temporarily loaned her and she won't give it back :p

Wow! How much did it run you at the time?
In my case, i paid $3,500 for that Panny 42PX50U back in 2005, and although it still works perfectly i can't even get $200 for it on Craigslist :D

The first Panasonic Plasma panels were rated for 30,000 hours till half-brightness (same as the tube TVs), then around 2005 it was bumped up to 60,000 hours, then a few years after that they claimed 100,000 hours. But that's just for the panel - the various circuit boards inside could blow at any given time (just like any other electronic device nowadays).

Reactions: Chise
1 - 20 of 43 Posts