AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you know of any current (as of Sept 2011) plasma TVs that have s-video inputs?

I am unable to find any websites that offer a way to search by inputs.

I'd like something in the 46-51 inch range if possible.

720p is fine, it doesn't have to be 1080.

As an absolute last resort, I could buy one of those S-Video to HDMI converter boxes for about $80 off of Amazon, but I'd rather not have to.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Why would you want to do this??

S-Video is the next to worst video interface (after composite) and is limited to 480i (will not pass an HD image)!!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Because it is the best quality output of a number of devices and is substantially better than composite which is typically the alternative.

If you buy an S-video to HDMI converter make sure it isn't one that forces upscaling.

And please don't get a 768p plasma. They're such a step down from 1080p for so little price advantage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerging /forum/post/20887727

Because it is the best quality output of a number of devices and is substantially better than composite which is typically the alternative.

Correct. I have several older game consoles that can only do S-video (or composite), as well as a heavily modified Series 1 TiVo with a lifetime subscription that I'm not quite ready to give up yet.

If you can't tell, I'm being forced, kicking and screaming, into the HD future and I'm not entirely happy about it. Having an s-video port allows me to keep one foot in the past, at least for the time being.

·
Registered
434 Posts
LG, Panasonic, and Samsung are the three current manufacturers of plasma tvs. I'm pretty sure that LG and Panasonic no longer have S-Video inputs on their consumer sets. Not certain about Samsung.

I would normally suggest an AV receiver with video conversion but even the flagship models of (Marantz, Denon, Onkyo) no longer have S-Video inputs. Perhaps you can find a model from a few years ago on Craigslist that will internally convert S-Video to Component (or HDMI).

Aside from that, the only real option for Plasma + S-Video is to get a Panasonic Pro monitor with an S-Video input card. $$$$.

·
Registered
330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petern /forum/post/20888070

I would normally suggest an AV receiver with video conversion but even the flagship models of (Marantz, Denon, Onkyo) no longer have S-Video inputs. Perhaps you can find a model from a few years ago on Craigslist that will internally convert S-Video to Component (or HDMI).

This was my thought, as well. I would imagine there are plenty of people upgrading their HDMI receivers to ones that can handle 3D, so they should be offloading them.

For instance, my 3-year old Denon AVR-1909 has plenty of S-Video and composite inputs and will upconvert all inputs to HDMI, but it won't handle 3D over HDMI. Something along these lines would be an excellent way to convert composite/S-video sources to HDMI.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk /forum/post/20893025

For instance, my 3-year old Denon AVR-1909 has plenty of S-Video and composite inputs and will upconvert all inputs to HDMI, but it won't handle 3D over HDMI. Something along these lines would be an excellent way to convert composite/S-video sources to HDMI.

EXCELLENT! Thank you. I never even considered an AV receiver. I have ZERO interest in 3D, so that looks like good option. Denon AVR-1909 can be found used on Ebay for $250. I'll have to look around and see what the top-rated AV receivers were 3 years ago.

Do you have any idea how much lag is introduced by the upconversion in the receiver?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerging /forum/post/20887727

And please don't get a 768p plasma. They're such a step down from 1080p for so little price advantage.

I see people saying this, but I don't currently have any HD content. I don't own any of the HD capable game systems, I really don't have any interest in paying $150+ a month for digital cable, and I'm definitely not going to re-purchase my movie collection in Blu-Ray format. So I'm not sure it's worth spending $200+ extra for the 1080p at this time.

Is there something I'm overlooking?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yes you are overlooking the fact that OTA signals are capable of 1080i and your regular dvds can be scaled to hd. Also that you can in the future purchase blu rays and be in this century (pardon the harsh language).

Also the huge fact that you will get better overall picture quality with a less reflective panel, deeper blacks, and better contrast.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krick /forum/post/20893475

I see people saying this, but I don't currently have any HD content. I don't own any of the HD capable game systems, I really don't have any interest in paying $150+ a month for digital cable, and I'm definitely not going to re-purchase my movie collection in Blu-Ray format. So I'm not sure it's worth spending $200+ extra for the 1080p at this time.

Is there something I'm overlooking?

Are you currently using a CRT display? If so, the transition to a fixed pixel display for SD material will be a real disappointment.

·
Registered
33 Posts
krick, I'm in the same boat as you with the need for s-video. I play a lot of old gaming systems that dramatically improve video quality with the use of s-video over composite. It is disappointing manufacturers can not include this input anymore (as well as analog stereo out). Like others have already mentioned, look for a receiver than can decode the signal, or pick up a s-video-to-component converter. Both options are pricey, but that's about all you can do nowadays

·
Registered
330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krick /forum/post/20893421

EXCELLENT! Thank you. I never even considered an AV receiver. I have ZERO interest in 3D, so that looks like good option. Denon AVR-1909 can be found used on Ebay for $250. I'll have to look around and see what the top-rated AV receivers were 3 years ago.

Probably the two most popular AVRs in 2008 were the Yamaha RX-V663 and the Onkyo TX-SR606. Here are some links to the owners threads, along with the thread for the Denon 1909:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=995796
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1026622
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1050097

The Denon was pricier, but considered a step up. The Yamaha I believe only had 2 HDMI inputs, while the Onkyo had 4 (if memory serves; I researched them both back when I ended up getting the Denon). The Onkyo did seem to have more problems, but was a lot of bang for the buck. I'm not sure how many S-Video/composite inputs they had, but it should be easy enough to figure out.

Quote:

Do you have any idea how much lag is introduced by the upconversion in the receiver?

I never noticed any lag, but I didn't do any serious gaming through them (just a little Wii). I doubt it would be noticeable.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:

There is no point in doing "upconversion" outside of your display. You display will be optimized to converting to its own native resolution.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Presumably you are watching DVDs and broadcast TV.

Both of these are severely limited by the use of S-video. You will get much, much, much better visuals using component or HDMI from DVDs and broadcast TV.

If you are actually watching VHS, then you're better off finding an old CRT than using a plasma

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.