AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase a plasma TV and am looking at the Pioneer 5020fd which is quoted at Plasma Concepts and at the Panasonic TH-50PZ850 which is for sale online at One Call

Is it worth spending $500 ove the cost of the Panasonic to get the Pioneer? Blake

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
You are going to be flagged. Their is supposed to be no price talk. However, to answer your question the 50PZ800, 50PZ850U, and 5020FD are great display choices.

Chris

·
Registered
61 Posts
Save some additional coin by going with a Samsung 50 or 58" plasma. I finally got to tinker with the Sammy's today at Magnolia Audio/Video here in Seattle, and I was very impressed.

The Pioneers are the best of the best, but the Samsung's are a solid $500-$750 less. Unless you're a real videophile, save the coin. Times are tough these days.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Pio is going to have better black levels but the 850 is going to have significantly more picture/color adjustment settings. If you are looking to do a lot of tweaking to the picture on your plasma the 850 will have a lot more to offer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For only that much diff in price pioneer is a no-brainer... If it was more like 1K +, then maybe it would be a tougher decision. (not for me, id still get the pioneer), but im a little biased, go do a side by side comparison. I think youd be amazed at the diff in picture.

imo, Mike

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
It's like this, I've owned three Pannys over the last 4 years and been very happy with all but the last one. Now here's the problem, I just upgraded to the 6020, and can never go back to anything less.

·
Vendor
32,724 Posts
Check the price on the 50PZ850U that is way high
Keep in mind the 850U can be fully calibrated as the 5020 can not be. The 850U also has Pro Menus to fine tune your set like no other consumer model offers including Pioneer Elites.

·
Registered
19,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/14192348

The 850U also has Pro Menus to fine tune your set like no other consumer model offers including Pioneer Elites.

I disagree. The 850u pro menu has RB High/Low, gamma, edge enhancement, and low IRE enhancement controls.

The Elites have RGB High/Low controls, gamma, low IRE enhancement, edge enhancement and CMS controls....although the latter isn't a full CMS.

Here is a comparision of the 850u pro menu vs an Elite:

Panel Brightness(850u) = A/V Picture Mode(Elite)

Contour emphasis(850u) = Enhancer Mode(Elite)

Gamma Adjust(850u) = Gamma(Elite)

Black Extension(850u) = DRE(Elite)

W/B Controls(850u) = Manual Color Temp(Elite)

AGC(850u) = Room Light Sensor(Elite)

·
Registered
6,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexInvision /forum/post/14192003

I would go check them out in your local area and then make the call, see for yourself and then get the Pioneer.

LOL. There you go

1 - 16 of 16 Posts