AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 56" Samsung DLP that I've had for about 2 years now. I really like the picture and all but it's getting to that time... upgrade!!! I have been looking at the 50 and 58" version of the Samsung plasmas (model 550 I think they are) My question to all you experts out there is this, will I notice a huge upgrade in PQ going to the new plasmas? I use my TV for Blu-Ray's (through HDMI on my PS3) and watching sports on Cable (Time Warner cable, going through component but can switch to HDMI if it's better) Also, if anyone can chime in about any of the Samsung or other companies LCD screens that'd be great too. I'm just trying to get a good idea of what to expect. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by movies2090 /forum/post/15587101

I currently own a 56" Samsung DLP that I've had for about 2 years now. I really like the picture and all but it's getting to that time... upgrade!!! I have been looking at the 50 and 58" version of the Samsung plasmas (model 550 I think they are) My question to all you experts out there is this, will I notice a huge upgrade in PQ going to the new plasmas? I use my TV for Blu-Ray's (through HDMI on my PS3) and watching sports on Cable (Time Warner cable, going through component but can switch to HDMI if it's better) Also, if anyone can chime in about any of the Samsung or other companies LCD screens that'd be great too. I'm just trying to get a good idea of what to expect. Thanks.

you can read other peoples opinions on these forums, but ultimately you and your eyes are going to be the judge.

you will see forums for all the technologies, and most of the brands / models available here.

good luck

·
Registered
15,998 Posts
Why exactly are you upgrading? If your DLP is 1080p, I doubt you'd see a major difference in PQ. But your eyes are the only ones who can judge for you.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Picture Quality, Who knows, Depends on how good your DLP is calibrated. The one Major Difference would be viewing Angle. Rear Projection HDTV"s have poor viewing angles. They always look best when directly in front. Plasma's have the BEST Viewing angle for HDTV's these day's. You can sit way off to the side and the picture is still great looking. A Plasma will be thinner then a DLP also. Your not going to mount a DLP on the wall, with a Plasma you can. Are those features worth it for you? 2 years isn't very long to make a switch. Maybe it would be better to wait a couple more years. Get at least 4-5 years from that DLP and make the switch at that time. Even better Plasma's out then with Larger screens at a lower cost. Your not going to get much selling your DLP. It's your money though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts