AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I purchased my plasma (4 years ago), a NEC XM2, there just was no question: plasma was way better than LCD, I mean, just no question about it, not an opinion, just a fact.

Now I hear that things have changed, possibly very significantly.

Is it no longer the case ? Are LCD panels pretty much comparable to plasmas for PQ, in sizes up to 50" ?

thx

·
Registered
949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwaves /forum/post/0

when I purchased my plasma (4 years ago), a NEC XM2, there just was no question: plasma was way better than LCD, I mean, just no question about it, not an opinion, just a fact.

Now I hear that things have changed, possibly very significantly.

Is it no longer the case ? Are LCD panels pretty much comparable to plasmas for PQ, in sizes up to 50" ?

thx

I don't think so (and neither do most most of the people who claim to be professional experts), but you should examine the sets for yourself. You might decide LCD is good enough for you. Be aware though that the vast majority of sets you'll see in showrooms are misadjusted. I suggest visiting Avguide and Ultimate AV websites. Both have primers on display technology.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx. Yes, of course, I would check for myself. For now I was mostly curious to see what the consensus is or at least whether it is as clear as it used to me.

I am not purchasing anything now, but as I see prices fall and fall (I paid my set >$4k !!!), I might consider adding another one. My NEC is still going very strong.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a plasma and liked it and plan to purchase a plasma of 58" late 2007 maybe Christmas sales or 2008.

Have to say that LCD have come along way and in certain aspects, better than plasma. People here seems to be die hard purist and value contrast above many other things (which is what you need when viewing dark scenes in movies). But LCD's are brighter, less glare and more models have higher resolution.

If LCD's prices come down more, I have to seriously consider one.

I'd say right now each has its benefits.

The problem I see is that LCD is winning the PR war. Most of my friends know lots of "problems" of plasma that has long been refuted but none of them knows the limitations of LCD themselves. Also LCD is made by LG, Samsung and many others. It will not be long when the price comes down further. I am not sure Plasma's future looks great.

Ben

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think some of the Sony's (xbr3) have exceptional pictures on their LCDs. The gap isn't what it used to be, imo, but I still think the good plasmas have a more natural feel to their colors than the LCDs do.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys, much appreciated. And a bit surprised, but only a bit. There seems to be lots of focus industry wise on lcd's recently, again, just my impression from, for example, the announcements of new panels which seem to be greated in number than for plasmas.

Man, it can be hard to keep up to date !!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
I own both and I can tell ya LCD has really closed the gap. Edge still goes to plasma. Its not just by chance were starting to see 1080P plasma coming. Plasma is hearing footsteps. It's all good.

·
Registered
182 Posts
IMO Plasmas are better. LCD's look nearly as good when there are all bright colors on the screen. When you get darker colors and or black, plasmas are way better. Also Plasmas in the 42 and 50" range have MUCH better prices than LCD's as a whole.

·
Registered
354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwaves /forum/post/0

isn't 1080p coming to LCD as well ?

or, sorry, may be it's the other way around, LCD are already there ?

Yeah 1080p LCD are abundant and cheap, trying to get a 1080p plasma TV is just a ridiculous price. I went to magnolia to look at a pio 1080p and it was 9,000k and was only like 56". LCD have closed the gap. To me LCD look much better for gaming. Plasma has better contrast when watch movies in a dark room.

Different strokes for different folks

·
Registered
118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker /forum/post/0

Yeah 1080p LCD are abundant and cheap, trying to get a 1080p plasma TV is just a ridiculous price. I went to magnolia to look at a pio 1080p and it was 9,000k and was only like 56". LCD have closed the gap. To me LCD look much better for gaming. Plasma has better contrast when watch movies in a dark room.

Different strokes for different folks

$9 million for a tv? I think you are exhagerating a little.

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
LCD looks "flat" even on the best sets. Their is no depth to the picture. It looks like everything is on a single plane. The colours on LCD will also never be as good as plasma.

Plasma looks "3D" there is much more depth to the images and it appears like your are "looking out a window" I have never seen an LCD produce the looking out a window effect and I don't think they can as even the new sharp 62 series which boasts a contrast ratio equivalent to most plasmas does not even come close to reaching the depth and saturation of a good plasma (Panny, Sammy, or Pio)

Heres hoping LED backlighting can save LCD. Those new Sammy coming in July look mighty fine.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
The main issue for LCDs is that over time an LCD owner is much more likely to see uneven backlighting issues or pixel issues over time whereas if you have no pixel issues on a plasma at the git go you are set for the long term.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I believe Pixel problems can develop in both technologies over time but uneven backlighting is all LCD. LED may come to the rescue...we'll see.

Conan48 said it right...3D is what you get with plasma. It's what I point to whenever discussions come up with friends. Best pic I've seen on an LCD was with a 1080P loop on a 46" XBR2. Both Rez and color were excellent but dimensionality was not equal to the plasmas getting the same loop. I have yet to have that 'window' experience with LCD. Even very good LCD still continues to look flat to me...like a painted image. Also I still see motion blur even with excellent sets like the Mits 46" LT series.

As to rez, 1080P looks best and makes the most sense with larger screen sizes where the viewer actually has a chance of taking advantage of it with proper viewing distance. The combo of 1080P and plasma will be a no-brainer when pricing for such becomes more competitive with larger sizing.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
i'd agree with the 3D comment. i own a plasma and an LCD, and while the LCD picture is very nice, i don't get the three-dimensional or "looking through glass" effect i do with the plasma.

IMO, LCD's are good for the bedroom...but for primary viewing my choice would be plasma.

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar /forum/post/0

I believe Pixel problems can develop in both technologies over time but uneven backlighting is all LCD. LED may come to the rescue...we'll see.

Conan48 said it right...3D is what you get with plasma. It's what I point to whenever discussions come up with friends. Best pic I've seen on an LCD was with a 1080P loop on a 46" XBR2. Both Rez and color were excellent but dimensionality was not equal to the plasmas getting the same loop. I have yet to have that 'window' experience with LCD. Even very good LCD still continues to look flat to me...like a painted image. Also I still see motion blur even with excellent sets like the Mits 46" LT series.

As to rez, 1080P looks best and makes the most sense with larger screen sizes where the viewer actually has a chance of taking advantage of it with proper viewing distance. The combo of 1080P and plasma will be a no-brainer when pricing for such becomes more competitive with larger sizing.

I second that. Very well said.

Cheers,

Garry

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
great guys, very informative comments, thx ! Lots of common sense and I must say, I agree with nearly all the comments !!! (very rare
).

For critical viewing hence plasma still is the guy (yes, indeed, that 3d feeling is there for sure). But for gaming and kitchen/bedroom an lcd might be preferable.

As to plasma 1080p, unless one is affluent and early adopter type, sounds premature and, depending on setup, even sort of a waste. Of course, everything is relative and in this case a function of size as well.

Hmmm, actually I want to buy something .... got to think about this one though.

1 - 20 of 278 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.