AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am looking to get a new display for my htpc (retiring the RPTV) and an considering plasma vs lcd.

I have found two nice 40" lcd's that I am looking at.

The Samsung 403T

The Nec lcd4000

They are very close in features.

I am also looking at either a 50" panasonic Plasma.

All of these devices are within my price range.

My decision is not made up based upon;

How good does a pc image look on the plasma?

How much do I need to worry about burn in on the plasma?

AND

How good does video (i.e. watching movies) look on the LCD's (OF THIS SIZE i.e. 22ms response time)?

I have found very few reviews on the lcd's to help, and I have read A LOT on the plasma's regarding burn in on the other forums.....however, no infromation has really been conclusive.

What I would like is some feedback from folks who have;

1 - Actually use a plasma on their HTPC

OR

2 - Have seen video (movies) on an lcd of this size.

These are the issues I am concerned with.

I use my htpc for movies (i.e. the video question) and games (the burn in concerns).

thanks for sharing your thougts....

Dave

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response!

Yes, that article did help...until I read the details...the monitors in the review use a different technology than most LCD panels...and even in the article (near the conclusion) they state that these monitors do not do as well as even slower models of the standard (TFT) technology.

I have seen LCD tv's at 30"...they looked pretty good on video....but I have not been able to find the models I mention in my first post.

I am still looking to see if anyone has either actually seen the large (40") monitors, or seen a good review on them.

(going to google and looking for reviews is not very useful....too many hits which have no actual reviews).

Also looking for anyone who actually uses a plasma for their HTPC for gaming and desktop use.

thanks,

DP

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Check out the plasma forum - we talk about this every so often there. Paul Gibson is right on target - I see enough jerkiness on my 19" digital LCD that I only watch on it when wife & daughter are both asleep, and I'm not allowed to use the big TV.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I had a 50" Pioneer plasma, and it worked great for HTPC use. Yes, burnin is a concern, but as long as you aren't spending hours and hours with a desktop displayed, burnin shouldn't be a problem. I do notice after a few hours that there are "ghosts" of window outlines, but they disappear quickly once I watch some TV or DVD or anything else for a while. Picture quality is excellent, and response time is more than adequate for movies or games.

Another option is the DLP rear projection TVs from Samsung. They are cheaper than plasmas, have a resolution that most video cards support (so no need for Powerstrip), and have no burn-in issues.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Pakman - I too run my HTPC to my plasma via vga, while I can only get native 856x480 rez, it's a really clear picture from 9 feet. I setup a 1072x600 rez in addition for better picture viewing...anyways, I was worried about burn in as well, so I either run the aquarium screen saver or a black screen for a screen saver after 1 minute of inactivity...this helps for static images on a desktop...you could also "autohide" the start menu if you like and remove desktop shortcuts to eliminate potential burn in spots. I've had my htpc hooked up to it for over a year, with no burn in. Keep in mind, I run about 2-3 hours a week on average...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by olyar15
I had a 50" Pioneer plasma, and it worked great for HTPC use. Yes, burnin is a concern, but as long as you aren't spending hours and hours with a desktop displayed, burnin shouldn't be a problem. I do notice after a few hours that there are "ghosts" of window outlines, but they disappear quickly once I watch some TV or DVD or anything else for a while. Picture quality is excellent, and response time is more than adequate for movies or games.

Another option is the DLP rear projection TVs from Samsung. They are cheaper than plasmas, have a resolution that most video cards support (so no need for Powerstrip), and have no burn-in issues.
My vote is for Sammy's DLP sets too. 1280x720 resolution, AWESOME picture, no burn in. My bro has one and has HTPC hooked up to it and it's gorgeous.

J.R.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Another vote for plasma. I have a PIoneer 503CMX computer monitor which runs dot for dot via DVI no analog intervening. I stopped worrying about burn-in a long time ago. If you can afford it is is IMHO the best solution available today. Well, maybe a 504CMX.... Of course the DVD playback and HD TV on it is also excellent. The internal SD scaler is nothing to write home about but I do all of that on my HTPC anyway.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
You have to check out the 40" NEC LCD in person. It simply is awesome and after seeing it, you will have hard time justifying plasma. I think most people who downplay large format LCD have not seen this particular panel and are equating deficiencies of older displays.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
compared to the 42" fuji plasma 1024x1024 panel, I still preferred it over the NEC

·
Registered
556 Posts
At least have a look at the Samsung DLP. IMO for non-CRT based displays, DLP or LCOS are the way to go. Anything but CRT's have inherent black level problems (though they are improving). Other than that pretty much any of the strengths and weaknesses of Plasma/LCD have been respectively included or addressed.

J.R.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wouldn't take plasma if you paid me to...

From what I have read and understood - LCD and Plasma displays are not TRUE HDTV televsions. The only HDTV sets are CRTs or something similar to DLP technology.

You would also be losing out on progressive scan quality images. You don't necessarily have to get the Samsung, but get something with DLP. There are projectors out now with DLP that sell for half the price of that Samsung.

·
Registered
137 Posts
An important issue to consider in this decision is whether you have effective control of ambiant light. If you want to watch material during the day, but can't block off all outside light, you will not be happy with a projector. A plasma, on the otherhand, can look great in full daylight.

-tom

·
Registered
491 Posts
640K, so when Panasonic says my plasma's native display setting is 856x480P, and I am sending it via VGA, how exactly am I not getting 480P signal to it? While that may not be "true" HDTV, there area plasmas that do a native resolution of 720P...Am I missing something here that you are not?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tmmort
An important issue to consider in this decision is whether you have effective control of ambiant light. If you want to watch material during the day, but can't block off all outside light, you will not be happy with a projector. A plasma, on the otherhand, can look great in full daylight.

-tom
I totally agree. That's why I own a RPTV. But I still think a DLP or LCOS based RPTV set is a better alternative to Plasma or LCD. If you have the appropriate light control etc, by all means get a projector. There is simply no better way to get that "at the theatre" feeling.

Quote:
Originally posted by Slarsky
640K, so when Panasonic says my plasma's native display setting is 856x480P, and I am sending it via VGA, how exactly am I not getting 480P signal to it? While that may not be "true" HDTV, there area plasmas that do a native resolution of 720P...Am I missing something here that you are not?
To be fair he never said you wouldn't get a 480p signal. He said you'd "be losing out on progressive scan quality images" Now I'm assuming he said that because most plasma's have to re-sample the signal to their native resolution. But nearly all sets, plasma, LCD or therwise, have to do that to some degree or another, as far as I know. So I think it's more a matter of how well it re-samples and to what degree than whether it does it or not. Granted some LCD's and plasmas have some "strange" native display resolutions. Also saying all LCD's and Plasmas aren't true HDTV's is a stretch. A lot of them are not, like yours Slarsky, as you pointed out. Also, as you pointed out some of them do use 720P or higher resolutions though a lot seem to be 1280 x 768 which, again does require some re-sampling for 1280 x 720 sources where as DLP or LCOS allow for exactly 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080 respectively.

J.R.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Originally posted by 640k

I wouldn't take plasma if you paid me to...

So, what you're saying is if I walk up to you carrying my 42 inch HIGH DEFINITION Panasonic Plasma Monitor and handed it to you with a $100 bill, begging you to take it, you would shove that money back in my face and throw the TV on the ground and stomp on it?

·
Registered
556 Posts
lol....:D

If that's an offer TimBob, I'll take it!;)

J.R.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Just a note:

The LCD screens you see sold as PC-Monitors on a sub-standard level compared to the ones sold in high-end video displays.

So you can pretty much ignore every PC-Monitor review of LCD technology, unless you plan to watch movies on a sub 20" screen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.