AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been reading threads on this website for a LONG time, but I finally registered to start posting here. I know there are a MILLION threads out there asking the same questions and advice, but this thread is specific to MY needs so please bear with me and offer some advice if you have any! Thanks.

I have been using a Hitachi Rear Projection 57" 1080i television in my living room for the past 5 years, and I have FINALLY decided to take the plunge into a Flat-Panel HDTV.

The major question is PLASMA vs LCD!!!

Primarily my TV is used for Gaming. I have an Xbox 360 and play MOSTLY Modern Warfare 2, for approximately 4 hours at night after work every day (I know, I'm a LOSER, lol). I also watch movies here and there (will be purchasing a Blu-Ray soon) and the girlfriend watches a good amount of TV.

I've been doing research for a LONG WHILE now, but everybody seems to say different things about the two technologies so I'm stuck on the fence. I understand that the PQ is better on Plasma, with deeper blacks, and more vibrant colors. I also understand that there is a small risk of burn-in with plasma. From what I've read, a lot of people seem to have issues with the response times and input lag on LCD, which may be somewhat of a problem for me on first person shooters such as MW2.

I know Image Retention is temporary on Plasma screens, but if I play the SAME GAME every night for hours on end, am I in risk of damaging the screen and WASTING A TON OF MONEY?!? If I follow the proper break-in procedures, will the IR not be much of an issue for the amount of time I spend with HUD on the screen?? I have looked at both LCD and Plasma in every electronics store possible, and I actually like the way both of them look. I agree that the picture on Plasma looks better than it does on LCD, but I don't think LCD really looks "BAD" at all!!

Like I said, I usually use the TV in the evening, so glare is not a problem for me. Sound quality is also not an issue, I have a Sony Bravia Home Theater system that I will hook up to the TV. If I go with LCD, I will hook my PC up, but if I go Plasma, I will probably not do that (not a huge deal for me).

Models I am considering:

SONY BRAVIA 52V5100

SONY BRAVIA 52W5100

PANASONIC 50" G10

PANASONIC 50" S1

Please give me some advice, I would like to spend under $1000 but for the right TV, I could go up to about $1500. I just want to make the right decision the FIRST time, and avoid having to return and exchange TV's and possibly get stuck with a TV that does not suit my specific needs.

Thanks in Advance!

-Tommy

·
Registered
247 Posts
If you haven't seen any burn-in on your RP CRT set, you're not likely to see any on a plasma.

And before the inevitable "plasma rocks/LCD sucks" and vice-versa posts start appearing, I'd add the following.

Having had both plasma and LCD sets, at this point in time they're close enough in quality that I wouldn't automatically recommend one over the other - they're just different. There are things about each technology that I really like and things about each that are really annoying, but overall, I'd call it a draw.

If you pick a good model, you can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've got both types as well but havent used either for gaming yet.

I just got a 50" plasma this past weekend and have a 32 LCD in a bedroom.

I do have a Wii and it will get used one of these days on the 50" plasma so I'll be warning those who use it to not stay on one image too long if that image is one which has a stationary part to it such as a score ribbon, etc. IR does occur on a plasma, I've seen the channel logos appear as a ghost image after watching the Olympics this week but once the scene changes to a commercial, the very faint image of the logo goes away after about 10 seconds. IR is NOT burn, dont get those confused. It would take many, many hours of the same image to burn it in permanently.

That said, and it has no bearing on my preference for picture quality and for watching tv and movies, it happens to be plasma but if I were buying for strictly gaming, I'd seriously consider LCD.

I'm sure the more serious gamers will come along and give their experiences.

Hopefully we can avoid the plasma vs lcd fights which tend to get very silly and serve little purpose except to get threads locked. So play nice

·
Registered
284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth /forum/post/18146488

Having had both plasma and LCD sets, at this point in time they're close enough in quality that I wouldn't automatically recommend one over the other - they're just different. There are things about each technology that I really like and things about each that are really annoying, but overall, I'd call it a draw.

I like that, and I'd like to say as a lcd and plasma owner, I'd agree.

They're different and each has strengths and weaknesses but both can make a damn fine picture if it's fed good signal.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I game fairly seriously, and my ps3 feeds a 2008 panny plasma. I calibrated it based on advice of the people on here for my TV as well as the AVS calibration disc. I used the TV's SD card slot and did a break-in each night for a week after purchasing the TV to get the hours up over 200 quickly.

I play a handful of games, mostly action/adventure, but the occasional FPS as well. I haven't played a game with a permanent HUD in a while, but I have in the past. I play probably 2-3 days a week and when I do it is for 4+ hour sessions. My current viewing habits are HD channels unless I can avoid it, I watch 4:3 without sidebars or stretching, and letterbox movies as well.

I have had no problems with burn in in the lat year and a half.

I had one instance of IR playing Halo 2, but that was before the 200 hours was up, and I was playing on torch mode for 6 hours. It disappeared in about 5 minutes and was only visible on a blank input. I also had an instance of IR on a letterbox move, same situation, first week, torch mode, and disappeared in 5 minutes.

I got guitar hero 3 with my PS3 and I noticed I didn't have to make any changes to the delay settings for the music/screen/guitar to sync up perfectly.

If you can deal with a break-in period and taking the TV off torch mode when you get it, you should have no major problems with a plasma. most people say you don't even need to do a break-in, just setting the TV properly should be good enough.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I game fairly hard, not just newer stuff but I also play a lot of retro games that have HUD's that take up most of the screen and scores in the top right corner. My prior gaming set was a Samsung HPT5054 and I did have IR. It got annoying but I learned to deal with it as it always went away. I also used it as a display for my Alienware. I now use a Panasonic 50PZ80UA (2008 model) and there is slight IR on certain games (think the green icon in Ocarina of Time) but it goes away MUCH faster than my Samsung did.

That said, I whole heartedly endorse plasma. The impact of input lag and response times are FAR worse in a gaming aspect than IR on modern sets. In a game like Call of Duty, you WILL notice when there is some input lag. Unless the LCD has a "Game Mode" you will notice some lag. The risk of purchasing a LCD and having lag, IMO is far greater than risking some slight IR that you may receive. Hope this helps!!

edit:: I don't want to seem that I am hating on LCD. Several of my friends game on LCD's that have a Game Mode and make out just fine. I also respect the picture that an LCD produces. Some of them can be breathtaking.

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,243 Posts
A gamer with a heavy emphasis on FPS should purchase a plasma to avoid lag. I myself am a heavy gamer, but I'm on the other side of the fence (JRPG's) so lag is no issue for me, so I went with LCD.

Just be sure to research the various plasma models to see which brand and model has the least issues with IR and follow the break-in procedure and you should be okay.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I game on the Sharp Aquos 46" LED (46LE700). I have 0 issues with input lag or picture quality while in game mode, and I am a heavy FPS gamer (was MW2, now Bad Company 2).

According to the 700 series thread, the input lag in game mode is ~1 frame, or 16ms.

There are LCD's that are good for gaming.

·
Registered
240 Posts
in game mode though, dont you trade some picture quality for speed though by basically turning features off?

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRL0INofBEEF /forum/post/18147716

in game mode though, dont you trade some picture quality for speed though by basically turning features off?

Kinda sorta.

On my Samsung, the Game Mode actually brightens the picture quite a bit from the settings I have. If your tv is of decent quality, all the PQ features it disables shouldn't have too much of a negative impact on picture quality. And since these are games we're playing instead of movies, accuracy to the original source is less important.

·
Registered
342 Posts
From what I have noticed is it more or less displays the signal without any Dynamic Contrasting or other processes the set does to enhance the picture.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the quick responses.. Much appreciated!

Unfortunately.. The Sony V and W series do not specify what the response time is. Does anybody have either of these models or can anyone find this information that I am somehow not finding?? =\\

·
Registered
719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by naledge /forum/post/18148056

Unfortunately.. The Sony V and W series do not specify what the response time is. Does anybody have either of these models or can anyone find this information that I am somehow not finding?? =\\

I own both the 50 g10 and sony w5100 and have gamed on both tv's. The Panny g10 definately has less input lag. The sony is not terrible, and the game mode is pretty responsive. If I were to guess probably around 45-50 ms lag. Panny probably 15 to 20ms. I definately seem to play better on the panny as far as my k/d ratio

·
Registered
324 Posts
According to hdtvtest.co.uk, the input lag ranges between 17-33ms in Game Mode. Note the reviewed W5500 set in the following link is European version of W5100.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Sony-KDL40...alibration.htm

Quote:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would you consider 17-33 a fairly low number for input lag??

Do you think i would notice the lag playing FPS games??

I'm starting to lean towards a Panny Plasma..

I'm just worried about IR during my 8 hour gaming sessions.

·
Registered
240 Posts
^ remember though..that is game mode. The picture will look worse in this mode, and it will probly handle motion worse as well.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by naledge /forum/post/18148958

so you think plasma would be okay with lengthy gaming sessions on modern warfare 2 on a daily basis?? (given i break it in and calibrate the settings correctly)

Yeah. I've gained for almost 10 hours straight on mine. no issue.

·
Registered
8,737 Posts

Quote:

All Sony's are 8ms.

·
Registered
240 Posts
^ again, thats game mode though. When out of game mode, i have seen sony lag times posted as high as about 100ms in the "bells and whistles" settings. I LOVED the xbr8, but my research showed that it will just lag too much if i want a nice picture on the screen

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.