AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night my middle child throws an XBOX 360 controller at my less-than-a-year-old 46" Samsung LCD and shatters the glass behind the plastic overlay - causing what appears to be irreversible damage to the panel.

After revoking TV and game privileges for the rest of the child's natural life, I'm now considering a replacement set. My question is, are Plasma's able to withstand impacts better than LCDs? LCD screens certainly appear to be more fragile - they deform easily and the glass layer seems very thin. Plasma appear to have a thicker glass layer - especially the "one sheet of glass" models.

It also seems like the glass might stand a better chance of being a sacrificial part - it looks like it *might* crack without damaging the display itself.

All of these are just assumptions based on appearance - is there any data on this topic? I have three boys at home - so even though one of my kids will never see a TV again as long as he lives, I've still got the other two to worry about

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
226 Posts
Geez! If you've got a kid that's unhinged enough to throw a game controller at a TV, first get a sheet of Lexan and install it between the kid and the panel. Next, consider banning the child from gaming as it appears that he is too affected by what is a GAME!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvshopper /forum/post/16908560

Geez! If you've got a kid that's unhinged enough to throw a game controller at a TV, first get a sheet of Lexan and install it between the kid and the panel. Next, consider banning the child from gaming as it appears that he is too affected by what is a GAME!

Hehe. Well, I guess I should have mentioned that he's only three - and that he wasn't actually playing a game, but arguing with his older brother over something (I wasn't in the room, but I'm assuming it was over something Earth shattering, like "GIVE ME MY BLANKET BACK!!!!"). Nevertheless, he's still banned from TV for the rest of his life

My other kids are 5 and 2 - so I'm just assuming this won't be the only time an object comes in contact with the TV (intentionally or otherwise).

John

·
Registered
226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxmn /forum/post/16909057

Hehe. Well, I guess I should have mentioned that he's only three - and that he wasn't actually playing a game, but arguing with his older brother over something (I wasn't in the room, but I'm assuming it was over something Earth shattering, like "GIVE ME MY BLANKET BACK!!!!"). Nevertheless, he's still banned from TV for the rest of his life

My other kids are 5 and 2 - so I'm just assuming this won't be the only time an object comes in contact with the TV (intentionally or otherwise).

John

Then the Lexan is a must for a few years anyway!

·
Registered
489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxmn /forum/post/16909114

Awesome - that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I don't need the set to withstand a direct blow by a baseball bat, but rather the odd glancing blow by a flying toy or elbow.

Thanks for the link!

John

My pleasure.

·
Registered
489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy /forum/post/16909360

Cool video. Apex is talking about Panasonic's Professional Series of plasma displays. Are there any screen differences between the consumer series?

True, they are the Pro series and I'm not sure if that transfers over to the consumer versions but I would think so. The Panny V10 has a dual screen which will protect the glass. As for others, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy /forum/post/16909360

Cool video. Apex is talking about Panasonic's Professional Series of plasma displays. Are there any screen differences between the consumer series?

The consumer series also boasts the tuff glass as well, I believe that all the Panasonic plasma sets have this feature these days.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsirbak /forum/post/16908996

I thought I wanted a boy, but now I'm glad I have 2 little girls at home.

There was a guy here who's neighbor's young daughter was visiting and she threw something at his Pioneer plasma and destroyed it. If they're young and/or out of control, it doesn't matter what gender they are

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Plasmas in general are more durable, due to the outer layer of glass, but both technologies definitely are not child-proof. There are also some LCD televisions that actually employ an outer layer of glass. The Olevia 747i comes to mind.

·
Registered
488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtytwoinch /forum/post/16908548

get a cage.

front glass on panasonic plasmas seems able to take a lot of contact. not sure if you could throw a controller at it.......

It's kind of harsh to put children in a cage for something like this, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Just watched the video and it brought back the horrible memory of taking a shot like that in the junk while playing 3rd base freshman year in high school. And yes I was wearing a cup and retired from baseball right there. There is no way I'm gonna sleep tonight, I think I just felt a twinge and that was 24 years ago. God, I think it even sounded like that.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I was one of 4 boys, all spaced relatively closely, so it was a real zoo in my house when I was a kid. My mom told us that if a TV screen were to break, it would immediately shatter into a million shards of glass that would shoot out from the screen and kill us. Into adulthood, I was scared to move even an unplugged TV, afraid that if I dropped it I'd be killed by this "glass grenade" effect.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts