AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have settled on the 65" S64 and have been hawking the local Costco supply chain to make sure I get one when they finally hit the club. That decision behind me, I am moving on to the mount for this bad boy. Coming from a DLP so no previous experience.

The situation is this, the previous owner of the house installed a conduit in the wall to hide all the cables running to his LCD. This is great but it means that the TV must be mounted with top at least 70" off the floor in order to cover the conduit plate. if I mount the panel at this height I am wondering if I should use a tilting mount or an Ultra-slim flat mount.

Any thoughts from those that have been through this process once before?

Thanks in advance,

MD

·
Registered
220 Posts
You can't mount the TV over the conduit?

I would look at EVERY alternative to mounting my TV at a pleasant level before putting it that high. Perhaps look at shelving units with build in mounting brackets.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctrombly  /t/1468464/plasma-wall-mounting-to-...g-and-just-love-my-upcoming-pdp#post_23208832

You can't mount the TV over the conduit?

I would look at EVERY alternative to mounting my TV at a pleasant level before putting it that high. Perhaps look at shelving units with build in mounting brackets.

I can mount the panel over the conduit itself, the opening at the top of the conduit is 70" off the floor and the wife does not want to be able to see it. That means that the top of the TV itself would need to be at about 70" and would make the bottom at ~ 35" off the floor. My botton of my current DLP screen is 27" off the floor.

My real question I guess should be, what is the recommended height for mounting the panel?

Also, is it preferred to use a slight downward tilt mount or a flat mount (glare impact, etc.)

Thanks,

MD

·
Registered
20,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerDuck  /t/1468464/plasma-wall-mounting-to-...g-and-just-love-my-upcoming-pdp#post_23210063

I can mount the panel over the conduit itself, the opening at the top of the conduit is 70" off the floor and the wife does not want to be able to see it. That means that the top of the TV itself would need to be at about 70" and would make the bottom at ~ 35" off the floor. My botton of my current DLP screen is 27" off the floor.

My real question I guess should be, what is the recommended height for mounting the panel?

Also, is it preferred to use a slight downward tilt mount or a flat mount (glare impact, etc.)

Thanks,

MD

The question is what is normal viewing height when sitting? When you watch your current TV are you in the center?

I believe the Ideal is to be as centered as possible, but the bottom 1/3 or 2/3 of the screen may also work. Ive seen it posted I jsut cant remember the "number" that was used....

What some people do is get painters tape or the like and marl out the dimentions of the TV to give a rough example of what it would look like.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The basic guidelines for viewing height is to have the center of the tv at eye level (some say the bottom third of the screen). Eye level is somewhere around 38"-42" . Other factors are viewing distance, and whether or not you're seated in a reclining position. At 70" you're going to be higher than recommended. As already said, take some tape or cardboard and place a template of the tv at your 70" height. Live with it for a few days and see how you like it. Too high and it's hard on the neck. Kind of like sitting in the front row of the theater. If you're stuck with the 70" height then I would think a tilting mount would be usefull.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371  /t/1468464/plasma-wall-mounting-to-...g-and-just-love-my-upcoming-pdp#post_23210784

The basic guidelines for viewing height is to have the center of the tv at eye level (some say the bottom third of the screen). Eye level is somewhere around 38"-42" . Other factors are viewing distance, and whether or not you're seated in a reclining position. At 70" you're going to be higher than recommended. As already said, take some tape or cardboard and place a template of the tv at your 70" height. Live with it for a few days and see how you like it. Too high and it's hard on the neck. Kind of like sitting in the front row of the theater. If you're stuck with the 70" height then I would think a tilting mount would be usefull.

Thanks crn3371 and Ph8te. I will mock up a version to test the height, or maybe put my DLP up on some risers to simulate and evaluate. I think I will order the tilting mount, I can always not tilt it if I make that decision, just lose a little bit of the "low profile".

Getting pretty excited to finally get into the flat panel generation of displays. This DLP has served me well, but it is just time.

MD

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'm finally upgrading my 60" Vizio plasma TV to an 80" sharp 844u or the new Vizio 80" that just came out. The vizio seems to look just as good as the sharp as I can tell and has a killer thin bezel and passsive 3d instead of active of the sharp. Not sure if any of you have an opinion on either of these, but if you do, would love to hear it.

Now... My current wall mount is a tilting mount, seen here:

http://simplicity.sanus.com/index.php/us/en/products/tilting-mount/SXDP3

I could use this for the new 80" as it's already installed in my wall for my old tv of course, or they have newer tilting mounts like this one:

http://simplicity.sanus.com/index.php/us/en/products/tilting-mount/SXDP6

I'm hearing that the latter mount might be a little closer to wall when used as a tilt mount than the orignal one I have installed now, but I'm not really sure and if it's worth the trouble to change out the existing mount when it fine?

II also have the idealume panel lights on either side if my TV and don't know if two are going to be enough for an 80"? I guess I could mount the lights closer toward the ends of the tv, right now the lights are velcro'd to either side of the tilt mount.

Just wanted some thoughts on keeping the old mount, vs installing a new tv mount, etc....

Here is my old 60" with the lights:

Also, this tv is about 60" off from the floor. I sit about 14 feet away on the couch and I'm assuming I want to stay with a "tilt" mount?

·
Registered
4,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerDuck  /t/1468464/plasma-wall-mounting-to-...g-and-just-love-my-upcoming-pdp#post_23208543

So I have settled on the 65" S64 and have been hawking the local Costco supply chain to make sure I get one when they finally hit the club. That decision behind me, I am moving on to the mount for this bad boy. Coming from a DLP so no previous experience.

The situation is this, the previous owner of the house installed a conduit in the wall to hide all the cables running to his LCD. This is great but it means that the TV must be mounted with top at least 70" off the floor in order to cover the conduit plate. if I mount the panel at this height I am wondering if I should use a tilting mount or an Ultra-slim flat mount.

Any thoughts from those that have been through this process once before?

Thanks in advance,

MD

Anytime a panel is mounted that high is a no brainier to get a tilt mount. It will help with the viewing. It is ideal to have it mounted at eye level but if it can't be done , a tilt mount is the way to go, that way even if you don't want it to tilt you have the option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.