AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be taking the plunge on a Panny 50 in January and looking for a good price from reliable dealer. I am however, skared senseless to plunk down $7k+ over the internet. Numerous threads discuss Dell and PE on price, but PE seems to gets the nod on service while Dell gets nod on known company, returns and credit card. Thoughts between the two - or other viable options - would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I think you have stated the issue in a nutshell. As good as Plasma Extreme seems to be, I for one would never order anything, let alone a plasma TV, over the internet w/o a credit card. Incidentally, in addition to the added security, many credit cards (most gold and platinum MC or Visa, and Amex cards) provide extended warranty coverage of one year at no charge. This can be worth $$$ on a major purchase. Check your cardholder's agreement to see about this.

If you do decide to buy from Dell, you can probably haggle them down to close to 20% off their regular price if you buy during one of their frequent sales, and dicker with the sales rep a little.

·
Registered
161 Posts
One more alternative to Dell and Plasmaextreme is VisualApex. They also receive a lot of praise for excellent service AND they accept credit cards.

I've been waffling between a Panasonic 50" and their 42" SD model...for the life of me I've NEVER seen a Dell product code for the Panasonic 50" at any of the Dell sites.

If you find a product code for the Panny 50", please pass it along!

·
Registered
310 Posts
It's a service vs. price comparison:

Plasmaextreme

Pros: Fantastic service, availability for questions

Cons: Cannot purchase with VISA directly, must use paypal. No 30 day exchange policy.

Dell

Pros: Unbeatable prices (below cost), 30 day no questions asked return/exchange policy. Takes credit cards.

Cons: No service, lengthy wait times to talk to CSRs.

Personally, I love Plasmaextreme's service; I almost purchased my plasma from them. However, no one can compete with Dell's prices, nor their 30 day exchange policy. If you were going for a Pioneer, there's a good chance you'd need that exchange (or 2).

Dave.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
I haven't seen any posts from customers who bought Pioneers from plasma extreme or visual apex needing exchanges, unlike a lot of the Dell customers who have posted a lot about bad pixels, etc. Have there been any confirmed bad Pioneer panels from any reseller other than Dell?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Don,

What's the difference? Do you really think that Pioneer is shunting a higher percentage of bad panels towards Electrograph (Dell's distributor), the largest plasma distributor in the country? I don't think so.

Your retailer has nothing to do with the chance of getting a bad panel; it has everything to do with what you can do about it if it does happen, though.

Dave.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
There could conceivably be some problem with Dell's Pioneers, but IMHO it is about 100x as likely to reflect a far greater number of purchases from Dell than from the other resellers. Any comparisons are totally meaningless unless you know the ratio of failures to purchases, and this sort of info is pretty hard to come by.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
I just would like to see if there is even ONE case of a bad panel from a non-Dell reseller - I haven't heard of any here. Sure Dell should have more, but I would say there should be at least one from all the other resellers if it was equally spread out. Dell may be getting lower prices from Pioneer for a reason or got a bad batch of them compared to the other resellers.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi:

I felt the same way. I never purchased anything more than a few

hundred dollars over the Internet. I did lots of research and read

lots of stuff on this forum. I, too, could have bought my Pio 503CMX

from Dell. But after I read so many good reports about Lisa at

plasmaextreme.us, I bought my stuff from her. I bought the Pio 503cmx, PDA 5002 card, Premier wall mount, and 4 yr ext warranty.

I've been 100% satisfied with my decision and would do it again. As a

matter of fact, I probably will by another from her (Pio 43"). I'm able to

reach her virtually any time via email or phone and is MORE responsive

than DELL could ever be.

If you pick a reputable company (thats the key) you can buy over the net.

Go for it. I spent 10 times more than I ever spent on the net and love it.

Steve

·
Registered
137 Posts
...Also interested in knowing how it was resolved?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all for these comments. It sounds like Dell is the way to go because you can keep sending it back until you are satisfied. It may be a pain, but at least you have that guarantee, which you cannot get from these other retailers.

In the short term, the point may be moot because Dell apparently does not yet carry the 50" Panny. I won't be buying until early '03, so hopefully that will change.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am definitely going with Dell, no two ways about it. The benefits of using a credit card and the opportunity to buy from a company you know will be there in the future is comforting. I can't imagine customer service being bad at all. I've bought other things from them (a PC & laptop) and its been terrific.

My only dilemma now is deciding whether to spurge for a 50 inch or to be more conservative and go with a 42. Something tells me that I'll choose the 50 since I've spent a while researching the deals out there.

Thx

·
Registered
64 Posts
saz25 said: after I read so many good reports about Lisa at

plasmaextreme.us, I bought my stuff from her. I bought the Pio 503cmx, PDA 5002 card, Premier wall mount, and 4 yr ext warranty.

I understand that there are two models for the Pioneer--the 503CMX and the 5030HD, the latter coming with a video card, speakers, and a table top stand. Are the displays themselves identical though? I assume one is a consumer version and one a business version? Is one usually less expensie than the other? I noticed that plasmaextreme has carries both models, but lists the price only for the 503cmx. So I'm wondering which would come out cheaper with the stand, video card, and speakers. Saz2, what was your total price, if you don't mind me asking? The current plasmaextreme site is listing a special price of $6100 for the 503cmx display alone.

I'm also thinking about the Panasonic 50", although I'm very confused by all the differnent model numbers. I've noticed that the lowest price for a PT-50PD3-P on Yahoo shopping is $6999 while the lowest for a TH-50PHD5UY is about $7550. Aren't these the same displays or am I missing something?

Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just received my new 503 from Visual Apex three days ago and so far it's perfect! No problems whatsoever, awesome picture quality! It also came with a two year warranty, stand, and the 5002 card included.

BTW, to my surprise, it was originally shipped from Electrograph (same as Dell's units). The only way I found this out was because the local delivery company called my office to set up a time for delivery of a "package". When I asked him what it was for, he wasn't sure so he looked up who it was from and told me it was Electrograph. This seems strange because the shipping invoice I received only shows Visual Apex's address as the ship from address.

Maybe I just misunderstood but I was under the impression that Electrograph was sort of like a subsidiary of Dell. I thought they just basically stored and distributed merchandise for Dell. I guess I just ass-u-med that because the only time I have ever heard their name mentioned was in relation to Dell's plasmas. I suppose Electrograph could just as easily be a subsidiary of Pioneer or completely independent. Perhaps someone can clarify this for me. Anyway all that really matters is that so far my 503 running great:D!

Scott

·
Registered
688 Posts
scott,

electrograph and activelight are two of the two major US distributors of plasma (and other types of) displays. these distributors sellonlyto dealers.

dell, plasmaextreme, visual apex, are dealers who sell directly to the consumers.

in most cases, it's easier for the dealer to drop ship the plasmas from the distributors to the consumer. think of all the warehouses electrograph and activelight have in the US vs. stock in a dealer store...

on topic, i've dealt with lisa at plasmaextreme and can't recommend her enough. complete service, follow through, and safety.

after dealing with her in the past few months, i can understand why she currently accepts credit cards via paypal. obtaining a merchant account with visa/mastercard (or any other cc co's) is a very difficult - especially in a more "high risk" business such as selling plasmas (high risk being the value of the plasmas mixed in with the chance of fraud and chargebacks from customers). lisa, as i understand it, was a sales rep from another dealer but left last year. it was only recently did she start her own business with it taking time to get approval for a merchant account. in the meantime, paypal is her prefferred method.

in anycase, i was worry about the credit card issue as well (believe me, i used to work in the banking industry). but after our initial conversation, i didn't hesitate to place the order. nothing but great service from plasmaextreme.us.

·
Registered
390 Posts
vp0:

The 503cmx and 5030HD use the same glass/panel. The biggest negative regarding the

5030HD is the box that is included with it. There

are many threads on this forum saying it isn't very good. The end up with better picture quality

if you use the 503cmx with the plug-in PDA-5002

card. The card is about $250 more or less.

The plug-in slot on the 503cmx is a BIG positive.

It basically makes you panel future-proof. You

can always get new and better cards as time

goes on from a variety of Pioneer-approved

vendors. You can't do that with the 5030HD. You

are locked in to that box (which is made by Sharp).

The 5030HD is the consumer version. Some people like it, I hear, since all the connections are in one place (the box is called the media receiver). It also includes speakers, which aren't that good. If you have a home theater with existing high quality speakers, you don't need those little speakers attached to the 5030HD. Though you can also purchase those same speakers for the 503cmx for a few hundred bucks.

As for the price I paid, it was at the end of August. There have been a couple of price decreases since then. I paid over $1000 more than I would pay today. I'm still not sorry though. I could have bought it last year and spent over $9000, which I didn't.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm thinking of buying in the near future, but I'm concerned about prices going down right after I buy. Is there price protection if the price goes down a lot a few weeks after I buy?

I still have a lot more to learn about the technology (on the newbie team), but I know I want one of these.

Jason

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.