Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Forgive my newbie-ish question, I'm learning quickly! :)

I'm looking for a good high-resolution display, specifically for watching DVD's at 480p and playing games (Nintendo GAMECUBE) at 480p. I'm not so interested in HDTV, yet, so my need for 1080 isn't so huge.

I've been looking at (heavy) HDTV displays (Sony, Panasonic Tau, etc.) and found myself really thrown by the line doubling they do to low-end signals, such as broadcast TV (running through my ReplayTV).

I understand it on a technical level, but watching it, it was jarring. For fast moving camera pans, etc., the line doubling just can't fill in the blanks without making the image look quite strange and distorted. I had expected that HDTV TV's could switch resolutions, much like computer monitors.

So, my question:

How do plasma displays (specifically the Pioneer PDP-4330HD which I'm drawn to) handle lower-resolution signals?

Do they "stretch" the image in software like LCD displays?

Is there any kind of "line doubling"? I wouldn't presume so, since there's no scanlines, per se.

Are lower-resolution signals the achilles heel of plasma?

Thanks so much for your information!

With regards,

Cabel

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
A plasma scales (line doubling is not the appropriate term here, scaling is) up or down depending on the source. Basically, it will scale to the native resolution of the plasma (852x480 for most plasmas, 1024x768 I believe for the 43" pioneer).

Interlaced signals first get deinterlaced (i.e., made progressive) and then scaled up/down to the native resolution.

The quality of some of these scaling and deinterlacing processes is debatable. Some find them acceptable (Joe Average certainly does) and some find the need to use external deinterlacers or scalers.

Bad quality sources (that includes low resolution sources) obviously can't look as good has high quality ones. Since plasmas have a fixed resolution, they rescale the signal to native resolution, not alter their scanning properties (like a CRT on a computer monitor would).

For more info, you should review the "Video processors" forum.

·
Registered
231 Posts
to address the first question ( I havent seen enough others the answer davidw)

I have the 5030 HD with the same external media box (though a different screen so it may not translate exactly) as the 43.

In running though a good quality analog NTSC signal I have been very pleased with the results post the scaling and de-interlacing to the screen's native res. (I think it pushes everything up to 720P).

Put in a crappy signal and it will , of course, look like crap...

So-so signals tend to result in some softness to the picture, but none of the tearing you are referring to.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I've had a 42" Panasonic for a bit over a year, watching mostly standard definition (mostly pretty good SD from satellite) and without any sort of outboard processor.

I am still VERY pleased with the results. Almost never see any jaggies/combing or other de-interlacing artifacts, and on the best SD signals (a DVD or, say, an HBO flick) most civilans seem to think they're watching HD because it is sooo much better than what they see on direct view or RPTV sets.

(Then I show them a real HD signal and just blow them away!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.