AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm moving into an apartment, and the way that the living room is configured, It seems to make the most sense to put the TV and all my other equipment about a foot or two in front of the radiator.

Is putting a plasma TV next to a radiator generally a bad idea?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
A foot or two away should be OK. If your radiator gets very hot (You'll probably think I'm crazy), you may want to put a piece of aluminum foil over the radiator where it's in optical view of the TV. Or in between the TV and radiator. The reason is most plasma TVs have a flat (non glossy) black rear which I would guess is excellent at absorbing infra-red light (kind of like a stealth bomber). The foil is highly reflective and hence will be a poor emitter of IR or will reflect the IR from the radiator if not placed on the radiator directly.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles3k /forum/post/16954404

I'm moving into an apartment, and the way that the living room is configured, It seems to make the most sense to put the TV and all my other equipment about a foot or two in front of the radiator. Is putting a plasma TV next to a radiator generally a bad idea?

How hot does this radiator thingy get? Panasonic for instance says it's ok to place a plasma TV above a fireplace if the area doesn't exceed 104F, so how hot would the area get a few feet from the radiator?

If you think the heat coming off that radiator would be too hot, maybe you could make a sort of partition with a thermal blanket and place it in the middle to prevent the heat from getting to the TV.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I have no idea how hot the radiator will get, but it's one of those that you can sit on, so it's pretty big. I guess I have to just wait a few months and see.

·
Registered
720 Posts
What kind of radiator is it? Steam, hot water, etc.?

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles3k /forum/post/16959448

Thanks for the info. I have no idea how hot the radiator will get, but it's one of those that you can sit on, so it's pretty big. I guess I have to just wait a few months and see.

Presuming that you can't sit on it when it's actually putting out heat without burning your butt, can you turn that radiator on now and test out how hot it does get, and how hot the area in front of it gets?

If it does get hot, a partition to block the heat should work to protect the TV. My plasma sits in front of a large west-facing window and in the summer (see pic in sig) the intense afternoon heat coming through that window often gets the back of my TV really hot. My old PX50U was there for over two years and later my PZ700U was also there for another two years and neither TV has suffered any ill effects.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bigbare, it's either steam or hot water, I don't really know. I've only looked at it briefly. We're signing the lease tomorrow, so I'll try to figure it out.

Randy, I don't control the thermostat, so I won't be able to test it out now.

I guess another question would be whether or not the TV is even the thing to worry about most. Would heat harm other equipment, such as a receiver and a PS3 before it would harm the TV?

Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.