AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I've got a Panasonic TH-42PX75U, a Yamaha HTR-5250 and a bunch of HDMI/Optical Audio devices. I've got a HTPC, DVR, Xbox 360, PS2 and a PS3 all fighting for the paltry ports on my setup. The way it is now, I have an HDMI switcher with my PS3 and DVR hooked up to it with one slot on it open; an optical audio switcher with my 360, PS2 and PS3 hooked up to it; one of the two HDMI's on the TV is taken by the switcher and one by the PC; one of the three optical audio ins on the receiver is the switcher, one is the PC and another is the DVR.

PHEW!

Anyways, I'm really looking to simplify this, but I'm a student and I lack the money for the easy solution (a receiver with HDMI ins, which would solve everything). My first hope was that I could wire all of my HDMI devices through the switcher and use the TV's optical out as a sort of "optical audio switcher" if it could manage to pull that signal from the DVI. It seemed to only grab stereo. This was reinforced by some searching here, where the optical audio out only sends digital signals from the internal tuner (DUMB). If this is correct, is there any way to get either:

A) A way to split off an optical audio signal from an HDMI?

B) An HDMI switcher that also has optical out?

This is probably the ass backwards way of doing things, but the current receiver is decent enough that I'd have to spend a fair amount of money to get a new receiver that performs similarly save for HDMI switching.

The main goal here is that while my HDMI switcher is remote controllable, my optical audio switcher is not. It would be rather nice to have my Harmony to do EVERYTHING rather than just almost everything.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I came about that in my searching but at that price I may as well go for a receiver.

That might be the real solution, but I can't see upgrading receivers just for convenience's sake. Other than that, the current deal tends to work fine, though it lacks some of the newer surround technologies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.