AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen more than one occasion where people placed plasma screens on the TV stands. What is the point of having a plasma when you dont utilize its best feature: THE ABILITY TO HANG IT ON THE WALL! If you wanna "oooh and aahhh" guests even more, please hang it on the wall. Flame on...

P.S. Manufactuers coming out with TV stands included with plasmas are not helping either.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi:

Not always you have the occasion of hanging it on the wall! For example, in my case (in the day i will have it), i'm going to put it on a stand, since my AV furniture will surround the plasma and has a base were currently i have my conventional CRT TV...

Regards,

J. Rosado

·
Registered
476 Posts
ConceptVBS

If you cannot or don't want to use flat wall-mounted or in-wall speakers, the set will be a couple of feet further away that the front of the speakers (most speakers are designed to be placed a few feet away from a wall). IMHO, bringing the set forward looks better.

Some people may desire a closer placement than the available wall.

There is furniture designed for plasma sets that increase flexibility of placement.

Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
I actually like the look of my plasma on a plasma TV stand. I live in an apartment in NYC and space is an issue. Hanging it on a wall would 've been ideal but I like the flexibility of a stand.

Plasma TV furniture really takes full advantage of the slimness of the sets. I'll post a picture when I have the set-up done. Tell me what you think.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ConceptVBS
What is the point of having a plasma when you dont utilize its best feature: THE ABILITY TO HANG IT ON THE WALL!
I think that you are depreciating plasma. The ability to hang it is a nice bonus but definitely not its best feature. If I want something to hang that is good looking and expensive I buy paintings. :)

Andrzej

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi:

I completly agree with Andrzej! There is another benefit of having it on a stand, and not hang it in the wall: You can turn it to any side you want!!

Regards,

J. Rosado

·
Registered
386 Posts
I agree with Concepts. All the pictures I have looked at on this forum where the PDP's are on table stands look dumb. Sorry, just my 2 cents. Kinda looks like you could barely scrap up the cash for the plasma (or charged it on your 17% APR credit card ), but couldn't quite buy the wall mount.

Kinda like buying new rims for you ride, and going with 18's

·
Registered
386 Posts
I agree with Concepts. All the pictures I have looked at on this forum where the PDP's are on table stands look dumb. Sorry, just my 2 cents. Kinda looks like you could barely scrap up the cash for the plasma (or charged it on your 17% APR credit card ), but couldn't quite buy the wall mount.

·
Registered
386 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
mwcatlga,

And your point is???

I didn't get it the first "3" times, could you re-peat that please!!!

Dave

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mwcatlga
mwcatlga,

I have no problems with your preference for hanging plasma. But your interpretation of table stand mount - "Kinda looks like you could barely scrap up the cash for the plasma but couldn't quite buy the wall mount" - is just plain dumb.

Andrzej

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sorry for the three-peat. I guess this crappy internet conection I have stinks, buts its all I can afford, cuz I blew my wad on the PDP and wall mount.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jrosado
Hi:

I completly agree with Andrzej! There is another benefit of having it on a stand, and not hang it in the wall: You can turn it to any side you want!!
Why would you wanna do that? Don't all plasmas have supposedly good viewing angles?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Quote:
Don't all plasmas have supposedly good viewing angles?
Yes...and so does my CRT televsion set...but I still prefer to watch it from head-on rather then from the side. Don't you?

As for not being able to afford a wall mount. That's retarded. There are plasmas that don't come with a table top stand and people still buy a seperate table top stand. It has nothing to do with money...the wall or table stands are $200 - $300. Big deal.

Bottom line is that some people don't like them on the wall. I'm very picky about a plasma being on the wall. If it has a nice, slim cabinet or table underneath it...then it can look nice. If it's just hanging on the wall with nothing else beneath it...I don't like how it looks and I'd rather have it on a stand.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
I've seen more than one occasion where people placed plasma screens on the TV stands. What is the point of having a plasma when you dont utilize its best feature: THE ABILITY TO HANG IT ON THE WALL! If you wanna "oooh and aahhh" guests even more, please hang it on the wall. Flame on...

P.S. Manufactuers coming out with TV stands included with plasmas are not helping either.
Ummmmm.......... For starters, I don't have a wall behind the plasma. I have a window. And there isn't a good way to hand it on the window. And I don't want to hang it on the window even if there was a way.

As far as the ooohs and aahhhs, well, I've gotten plenty of them with the plasma on it's stand. A scientific study I did after each oooh and aahhh was that there would not be a change in the number of ooohs and aahhhs if the plasma was hanging on a wall.

BTW, the plasma are made to be viewed, not to be the subject of a mount device or table.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mwcatlga
What?????? I have a feeling that my Bello stand cost more than your wall mount. I can afford any method of mounting. I chose the Bello stand. And I didn't have to put the plasma purchase on a credit card or scrap up the money to get it. The cash was readily there, and there's a lot more for whatever my little old heart desires.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm still waiting for my 6UY, but I ordered a table stand since it didn't come with one. I had purchased a Salamander Designs TV Rack (and matching 30" component rack for all my other gear) just for the plasma because I prefer the look of a tv stand and rack combination as I can have my center speaker under the tv as well as a few components (like my Anthem AVM20 and Tivo). It should be pretty obvious that it's a personal preference not related to cost.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Quote:

Why does it bother you how people use their TVs?

I think practically ALL wall mounted plasmas are just way too high for viewing when seated at couch level. If you want to hang it on the wall to amaze your friends, it needs to be about as high as you would hang a picture frame to look nice (about 4 feet high). But this is too high for viewing when seated. If you hang it at a proper level for viewing from a couch, it looks ridiculous having a plasma mounted about 25" from the floor.

If you think plasmas best feature is it's ability to be hung on the wall, you really are missing the "picture" as the best quality of a plasma is actually its PICTURE QUALITY.

Glen

ps - I think it's a shame that you feel it necessary to buy toys to impress your friends.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.