AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and I found lots of references to this but nothing saying specifically it was good or bad. It's a wood burning fireplace that is made of brick. I would like to mount the plasma above it (half a foot or more above the opening to the flame, atleast)

Am I good to go?

Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you have plenty of money to "burn", then go for it. :)

Sorry, I just had to say that.

Most fireplaces that I have either owned or observed produce quite a bit of soot especialy during the lighting process. The damper is never set just right for all levels of flame. So even it the flue is wide open, each time you add a log or stoke up that fire, smoke/soot will belch forward up the face of the fireplace and onto your mantel or plasma.

Additionally, some building codes require specific distances between the opening of the firebox and the nearest combutible material. Not that you have to pay attention to code, but these rules came from practical industry experience. I know that the underside of my mantel gets very hot when I have a big fire going.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Combustible materials are not allowed to be any closer than 12" to the firebox opening. If your fireplace smokes, I would suggest you mount the plasma somewhere else! It sounds like you are forcing it to happen, and if it's brick, where are you planning to run the cables?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've seen lots of "over fireplace" installation pictures, but I've always wondered... Isn't that kind of high up on the wall? I don't want to feel like I am in the first row of the theatre every day when I watch TV!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I want to do this myself. There are a lot of pictures on the web that look pretty good. The cables are the real question...I think i'll have to just "hide" them some way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just read an article in one magazine about this. They said to start a fire going for a while then hold your hand on the wall where the flat panel will go. If the wall and the air along the wall are cool, you can hang your panel. If you can feel notable heat rising there, do not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.