AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys

I was looking to change my setup to a 2 subwoofer set since my new AVR does have 2 Sub EQ (denon X4300 audessy xt32). I was looking to either go with dual bic f12 - dayton sub-1200 or sub-1500 while looking for advice someone suggested a DIY sub might be the option.

I know it's a rabbit hole and I am one to fall easy for those things, so before I even consider it since I have little time on my hands right now. It would have to be much cheaper than any of those setup or it will not get the WAF.

Looking trough my things I found a plate amp I bought to power tactile transducer for a gaming chair.

Is there any way of knowing what are the specs to that amp by looking at it ?? Here's a pic

Thanks for any help you guys can provide

Attachments

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Welcome! There is not enough of the plate amp showing in the photo to be much help there. I see that the Sub-1500 is going for $200 right now. If you are planning for two of those ($400), there is little chance that building two DIY subs plus buying an appropriate amp to power them will come in at less than $400. If that is your budget, my suggestion is to buy 2 Sub-1500's, convince yourself that you are in complete Bass Bliss and never browse this sub-forum again. ;)
Should you choose to go down the rabbit hole, $400 would get you an 18" Dayton Ultimax + sealed box flat pack combo and from there you'd have to add an amp like the Behringer Inuke NU3000 or NU6000 for $230-$350. As you can see, the initial investment to get into a very capable DIY option is quite a bit more than picking up a couple of Bic's. Good luck! :)

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-18-ultimax-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7099

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome! There is not enough of the plate amp showing in the photo to be much help there. I see that the Sub-1500 is going for $200 right now. If you are planning for two of those ($400), there is little chance that building two DIY subs plus buying an appropriate amp to power them will come in at less than $400. If that is your budget, my suggestion is to buy 2 Sub-1500's, convince yourself that you are in complete Bass Bliss and never browse this sub-forum again. ;)
Should you choose to go down the rabbit hole, $400 would get you an 18" Dayton Ultimax + sealed box flat pack combo and from there you'd have to add an amp like the Behringer Inuke NU3000 or NU6000 for $230-$350. As you can see, the initial investment to get into a very capable DIY option is quite a bit more than picking up a couple of Bic's. Good luck! :)

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-18-ultimax-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7099

I'm in canada so sadly the price are not quite the same. I do have the canadian Dayton distributor just 30minutes from home tho! https://solen.ca/ They quite a selection

I just Measured the sb-1500 in my space they are huge and I'm not sure they would get approval.

I'll try and take better pictures of my amp and remove the plastic cover to show the internal maybe someone will be able to provide better insight. Electronics is something I have no knowledge of sadly. I am quite handy and fast learner do!

Maybe I can find a box layout that I can cut and build myself to accommodate my amp and a woofer. But from what I gather that seems rather involved in measuring sound waves and all that ?

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
A sub build is certainly more forgiving than a speaker build with a crossover, etc. but it would still be a good idea to go with somebody's established design if you're going to roll your own.
As for the plate amp, if it has manufacturer and model number printed on it somewhere, you can just google for results. It's unlikely someone here will be able to tell you much about it with just photos of boards and such. If the Sub-1500 is too big, you are quite limited for sure. Find yourself an off the shelf small sub and enjoy.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Hello guys

I was looking to change my setup to a 2 subwoofer set since my new AVR does have 2 Sub EQ (denon X4300 audessy xt32). I was looking to either go with dual bic f12 - dayton sub-1200 or sub-1500 while looking for advice someone suggested a DIY sub might be the option.

I know it's a rabbit hole and I am one to fall easy for those things, so before I even consider it since I have little time on my hands right now. It would have to be much cheaper than any of those setup or it will not get the WAF.

Looking trough my things I found a plate amp I bought to power tactile transducer for a gaming chair.

Is there any way of knowing what are the specs to that amp by looking at it ?? Here's a pic

Thanks for any help you guys can provide

I think you'd be just fine with two of the SUB-1200s like I had, but that's just me. :rolleyes:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629

1 - 6 of 6 Posts