AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys, I'm just wonder can I use a plate amp on a passive subwoofer? How do you guys connect the plate amp to the subwoofer? can anyone please sharing & provides guidances/instructions/steps?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
It should be really easy. What kind of passive sub do you have? Then we could give you step by step instructions. Just be aware that in doing so, you are altering the internal volume of the subs cabinet, and therefore changing the sound characteristics of the sub. If the original manufacturer built the sub correctly, then they calculated the internal volume of the cabinet to match the Thiele/Small parameters of the driver. If your sub is a real el cheapo, you may be much better off getting another one. You can also add an regular type external amp to it as well. That way you wouldn't be changing the internal volume.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Some individuals have built an enclosure for their plate amps (using wood but allowing for ventilation). Both OAudio and Parts Express have recommended plate amps.

If in a separate enclosure, you merely run a line-out from your AVR to the plate amp. You then run a regular speaker cable (say 14 or 12 gauge) from the plate amp to the passive subwoofer.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler /forum/post/20908104

Some individuals have built an enclosure for their plate amps (using wood but allowing for ventilation). Both OAudio and Parts Express have recommended plate amps.

If in a separate enclosure, you merely run a line-out from your AVR to the plate amp. You then run a regular speaker cable (say 14 or 12 gauge) from the plate amp to the passive subwoofer.

That's almost always better than on-board mounting, which is prone to ground loops due to the length of both interconnect and power cable between the receiver and amp.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
"That's almost always better than on-board mounting, which is prone to ground loops due to the length of both interconnect and power cable between the receiver and amp."

+1

·
Registered
9,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler /forum/post/20908104

Some individuals have built an enclosure for their plate amps (using wood but allowing for ventilation)

As every plate amp I've ever seen is fully enclosed anyway, all you'd need to do is make a couple of brackets (out of whatever) to stand it vertically so the heatsink is upright.

Not a fan of mounting electronics in speaker enclosures myself for a number of reasons including those above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.