AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been eyeballing EP2500's for a while because they seem very well priced around $300. Playing around with the sub I've already got, if I were to do dual IB3 18's in dual 125 cu ft boxes, I'd only need 700 watts per sub... 2 quiet sleek 1000 watt plate amps mounted in the boxes would be sweet... but not for $425.00/ea off PE! Why are plate amps so much more expensive?


Just for fun... IB3 18 125 cu ft 16" port 15Hz tune 700 watts HP 14Hz: yellow

My current box 22 cubic feet 7.5" port 18Hz tune 1100 watts HP 17Hz: red



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,937 Posts
Plate amps have more features typically and they are not as widely produced. You only have a few options of locations to buy plate amps, but pro amps are available all over. They even sell them at wal mart (online I believe). Bulk prices help keep costs down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,409 Posts
I'm not sure the plate amp is the "better" option. It usually means placing the amp away from the rest of your system (plugging it into another plug). This can lead to ground hum problems. Not always, but keeping the equipment powered at the same location tends to clear this up.



dbl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,595 Posts
This has been discussed at nauseum.


I would saw that if you have a very specific build that requires a specific feature set then a plate amp might be a viable solution.


However, most of the time pro amps or outboard amps give you much more flexibility and potential for the future.


If you into DIY chances are you will build another sub or whatever down the road. A pro amo gives you the flexibility of a myriad of wiring options and loads that a plate amp can't touch.


Having things on a different circuit is a plus and allows you to simply run speaker wire and not have to run long RCA or other cables.


Of course, the power per dollar is not even in the same league. And ground loops can usually be traced and cured easily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,595 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/18151977


i'm actually kind of surprised that noboby has tried something like this yet:

http://www.audiolines.com/Pro-Audio/...Z-1100-LX-1100

http://tpro.com/prods.php?prod=LZ-1100


for $94, it seems like it would be an alternative to a plate amp especially for something like a tht, where big power is not required.

That doesn't seem half bad for a THT, wish I could see the internals of it though and sucks that it has two fans all though they are 80mm so you could slow them down with some new ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by datgai /forum/post/18152281


The build quality looks questionable... for similar money I'd pick up a used Behringer A500 instead.

well the behringer is a little lower in power output and I sent and e-mail to the T-pro guys asking them about the advertised specs
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=17004

Also the behringer doesn't look like it would be able to to hit 200watts with both channel driven at 4 ohms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/18151977


i'm actually kind of surprised that noboby has tried something like this yet:

http://www.audiolines.com/Pro-Audio/...Z-1100-LX-1100

http://tpro.com/prods.php?prod=LZ-1100


for $94, it seems like it would be an alternative to a plate amp especially for something like a tht, where big power is not required.

Techincal Pro is the worst of the cheap amps IMO



I have had the "Blue Ice" amps for testing, complete crap SQ wise and that is saying something from me considering I think most amps do their job properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz /forum/post/18152845


well the behringer is a little lower in power output and I sent and e-mail to the T-pro guys asking them about the advertised specs
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=17004

Also the behringer doesn't look like it would be able to to hit 200watts with both channel driven at 4 ohms.

The TP stuff doesnt come close to its specs. The A500 is an incredible performer. I consider it the best amp for driving bass bins.


The A500s are great for active designs!!


Tech Pro isnt worth anything in my books. Its a wasted $100!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info guys! I'll stick with the beast and be asking crossover questions and all that later. EP2500
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,799 Posts
You can get 500 watt rms plate amps for sub $100, but you have to order in big quantities (300 units).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki /forum/post/18155095


You can get 500 watt rms plate amps for sub $100, but you have to order in big quantities (300 units).

well if u said u had to buy in quntities of 4, then that would be terific eh? 1 per coil, 1000 watts per sub...LOL


So I'll be getting an EP2500. I don't have a receiver yet. Do I have to ger a BFD or whatever, and S-convert or whatever, an external crossover, EQ, and all of that jazz???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 /forum/post/18155538


The O audio 500 watt plate amplifiers are packed with features and are only $239 SHIPPED TO YOUR DOOR!!

I NEED 1000 per sub and would preffer 2000 for headroom. Thats close to the price of an EP2500..idk if that includes shipping. I don't like the idea of adding a bunch of things to the signal chain and all the different converters and connectors.. xlr/balanced/ 1/4" jacks and boxes and all the works...but it's getting time to iron out those details...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,595 Posts
It depends on your receiver.


Certain models pump out enough signal to go directly to the amp.

If not, then you would need the Samson or Art.


However, if you are going to a BFD or other EQ it will probably take care of that when you go from receiver to BFD to amp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite /forum/post/18155635


well if u said u had to buy in quntities of 4, then that would be terific eh? 1 per coil, 1000 watts per sub...LOL


So I'll be getting an EP2500. I don't have a receiver yet. Do I have to ger a BFD or whatever, and S-convert or whatever, an external crossover, EQ, and all of that jazz???

If you do not have a receiver yet then you might look at the Onkyo 885 pre/pros. If you can find one they are awesome and the price should be down around $600 or $700. They have XLR connects!!
 
1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top