AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experimenting with playing movies stored on my hard drive across the network to other computers. I have been trying to use dvdstarter to play the movies. However dvdstarter adds the default device that it uses to play the movies as a network device and the movies wont play. Have had minimal success with powerdvd but run into a lot of region code problems. I would really like to get dvdstarter working. Has anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
I don't know what DVDstarter is but WinDVD and PowerDVD XP will both play VOB files as well as DVD drives over a network. If you are using a 11mbps or less network there will likley be some stuttering.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
help!!! can someone please tell me the proper way to playback movies on a newtwork drive via dvd starter. i am able to add the drive to dvdstarter and the movies show up but when i go to view one of the movies dvdstarter maps a network drive and the movie never plays.

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
What OS are you running? DVD Starter will use network drives just fine under XP but will not do it at all under Win 98. Also, make sure that the virtual drive you are creating does not use the same letter as one of your mapped drives.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Sorel
What OS are you running? DVD Starter will use network drives just fine under XP but will not do it at all under Win 98. Also, make sure that the virtual drive you are creating does not use the same letter as one of your mapped drives.
Bob, I have followed many of your threads on DVD ripping related matters and appreciate the great input you have given!

I am heving the same problem with DVDStarter not playing movies stored on mapped network drives. It finds them, starts WinDVD, but does not play. This problem does not exist on movies stored on my local drive.

I do FULL FILE rips with dvddycripter and Smart Ripper. I am running XP Pro on a high powered HTPC. My remote storage computer is also XP Pro. I am using WinDVD 4, and the latest version of DVDstarter.

You further wisdom would be appreciated!

Thanks

--Caleb

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
rudy1178, calm down ffs!!!

Don't you think we have anything else todo than sit here helping you? It won't help you to scream help 100 times. If somebody CAN help you they probably will.

Try mapping your network path as a network drive.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Esben
rudy1178, calm down ffs!!!

Don't you think we have anything else todo than sit here helping you? It won't help you to scream help 100 times. If somebody CAN help you they probably will.

Try mapping your network path as a network drive.
b

Esben

Calm down.

Please note that rudy's last and unanswered post was back in June. Three months without a meaningful answer is pretty patient.

I am using mapped networked drives. Both my host PC and my remote storage pc use XP pro. That is not the problem.

--Thanks
Quote:
Couldn't you create a batch file on the Server that loads the file in question, associate it with the player first, then call the batch file from within Girder's Internet EVent Server plugin?
mcascio

I am not yet experienced with Girder, etc.

Has anyone succeeded in using DVDstarter over a network?

Thanks

--Caleb

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Hi guys,

I posted what I think will be the answer in the other DVD Starter thread. I hope this solves your problem :)

***Edit: Ok, here's a copy of my reply in the other thread, just in case it gets lost in the shuffle:

Quote:
This sounds like you have mapped your virtual drive to a drive that is already mapped in your network. Open up DVD Starter and go to file/folder settings. In the lower right hand corner of the window you will find "Drive letter for playing movies". This is the virtual drive that you are creating and therefore CAN NOT be a drive that actually exists in your system, whether mapped or local. If you enter a letter there that already exists in your system, DVD Starter will disconnect that drive and recreate it as a virtual drive. Make sure that the letter entered there is an UNUSED letter in your system. When you want to map a network drive that exists in your system, take the drives from the left hand big window, highlight it, and then press the ">>" key to transfer the drive to the "movie folders" window.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I responded back to Bob on the other thread. Here is that post:

I have done some more looking/testing on my system. I have done the same tests on several of my networked PCs. This is what I discovered:

The virtual drive created by DVDStarter (Drive Q, which is NOT a duplicate drive letter with any actual drive) shows up in Windows Explorer as a “Local Drive†when I select movie folders on my local drive (C), but shows up as “Disconnected Network Drive†when I select a movie folder located on any mapped network drive???

In both cases, I can expand the virtual drive and see the VIDEO_TS sub folder and its movie file contents.

When the virtual drive points to a network stored movie folder and I right click to “disconnect driveâ€, I get a message that “drive cannot be foundâ€. However, the only option is to disconnect, not to connect. Also, it is connected as I can see the drive contents of the virtual drive.

I know I have ripped and filed my movies correctly. I am able to “open file†with WinDVD 4 and play the movie.

This issue is definitely about mapped network drives, not running WinDVD or my ripping/storing.

I will let you know when I figure this out. Any more suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

--Caleb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.