AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this is a dumb question, but hopefully someone can help me out. I recently purchased a pocket camcorder that records in 1280x720 16:9 format and records avi files with h.264. I was under the impression that the ps3 could play h.264 natively, is this not the case?

When I try to play the video via ps3 I get the content not support message.

Side question: Also, when I stream the same video via Tversity it is very start&stop. I have never had this problem streaming even 1080p content via tversity.

·
Registered
465 Posts
How well do those videos play on a computer with a player like mplayer ?

It's considered bad form to put H.264 into the AVI container, so I'm not surprised to hear you're having problems with playback. Can you tell your camera to use the .mp4 container format instead? You might have better luck with that.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Convert it to .mp4

I'm still waiting on Sony to do full .mkv support. .mkv is like magic: everything all in one file...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info fellas. The files play fine on my computer...just not recognized by PS3. Unfortunately, there is no way to change the recording type to mp4.

What do you recommend to convert them?

·
Registered
465 Posts
A Google search for "PS3 converter" should bring up a number of options. You might start with this one .

I use mencoder which is part of the mplayer suite. However it's a command-line program with a lot of options, so it's not for the faint-hearted. (I run Linux so I'm pretty comfortable around the command line.) As it turns out, many of the free Windows converters use ffmpeg and other parts of the mplayer package for the actual processing. They just dress them up with a GUI.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool thanks. i found ps3 video converter using the "google" you mentioned yesterday. mencoder sounds horrendous.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts