AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can see my laptop screen appear on my lcd tv but when I play an avi file I can only see VLC media player but the avi file doesn't show up on the tv.

Why is this?

Do I have to convert to some other format to play them on my tv?

Thanks.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It may be a display setting. Usually the movie will only play on the primary display, so you may need to set your TV as primary to get it to work.

You don't have to convert formats.

I'm assuming your LCD TV is a HD TV. If your laptop has a DVI output and your TV has HDMI inputs, a better connection method would be to use a DVI -> HDMI cable to get a digital connection and HD capability since s-video is very limited.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I was running VLC in a window but did not click on the full screen mode.

My laptop has a 15pin jack out and another pin jack that's probably 30 to 45pins which I'm guessing is a printer jack. I don't think either is a dvi out. I think I'm stuck with svideo out.

In my searching I read some posts about media protection and the laptop realizing when I have another video source hooked up and it will not play the file on the tv.

Any truth to this?

Yes, I have HDMI inputs, 1.

Don't they make portable hard drives where you can load pictures, avi, mpeg and all sorts of other files on them, hook them to a tv and display them? Like an HTC?

Especially one with a hdmi out or component out?

We have Dtv with all Dtv hdtivos in the house but I've never heard of hooking a hard drive to it to display other files on your tv. I did have my hr10250 dtivo hooked to my network and displayed pictures from my computer through the tivo onto the tv screen. That worked ok but now that hr10-250 is dead and gone so there ya go.

I would think that lots of people would have found ways to copy any file format to a portable hard drive or laptop and play them or tv displays?

It would be great to copy all of the dvd's I own to a server hard drive and have them available on my tv all the time but I'm getting a little ahead of myself : )

First things first.

I'm stunned there is not a lot of info out there about playing files from a laptop on a tv screen. My searching didnt reveal a lot of info.

My laptop does show a window in display settings showing two monitors but I can only get one to work at a time. If I go that route the monitor goes black and the tv shows my desktop. The other way I've got it to work as I plug the sd cable in last and it just copies whats on the laptop as a dual image. The avi still doesn't show though.

Thanks for the help and ideas

·
Registered
50 Posts
i have my projector set-up as the secondary monitor, with a check in the "Extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" box. and i sometimes have the same problem.

what i usually do is when vlc first starts up, i drag the vlc window (while it is still small) over into the secondary screen, and then it fires up o.k..

another way i've done this is to drag the window containing the .avi file over to the secondary screen and open it froom there.

hope this helps.

peace,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts