AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi!

I´ve just got my hands on a Samsung 40" M86 LCD, that i´ve connected to my 8800 GTS with DVI-HDMI cable (10m) and a CRT monitor.

I´m using PowerDVD 7.3 with blue and HD features, the screens are set up as "dualview" with 1080p on the lcd and 1600 x 1200 on the crt.

When i play HD materials on the crt(primary display), its works as it should, but when i please Powerdvd onto the lcd(secondary display), powerdvd gets an error.

But if i clone the screens it works on both screens, but the crt doesn´t support 1920 x 1080 resolution so the display gets all messed up!!

Ive tried this with both XP MCE and Vista Home PRE....same issue!

Can someone help me or have the same problem?!

·
Registered
913 Posts
stop using dual view

it won't work.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsurgeon /forum/post/0

stop using dual view

it won't work.

I can use dual view just fine with PDVD 7.3. Primary is Dell 24 at 1920x1200 DVI, secondary Samsung LCD 1080p over HDMI.

ysoligard:

Both primary and secondary display must be HDCP compliant for PDVD 7.3 to work on a dual view setup. If not you'll need to install AnyDVD.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Dual view works fine for me with PowerDVD & AnyDVD HD decrypted discs of both formats, with two exceptions. (Whether on-the-fly or rips) I'm using XP MCE with an Nvidia Geforce GTS 8800 640M with the 158.27 drivers for the record.

Pirates of the Caribbean 1 & 2, when ripped with AnyDVD HD, will play with the latest 7.3 just fine on either of the monitors when it's not in dual-view mode, but when in dual-view mode, it won't play at all. All other Blu-Ray and HD-DVD discs I've tried work, which would be quite a few in both camps, including the matrix trilogy on hd dvd (I have a 32" 1080p Sharp Aquos (attached view DVI) mounted above my 24" Dell work monitor (which is non-hdcp) that I often have TV or a movie or tvtonic or whatever running on while I'm working on things). Perhaps AnyDVD HD just doesn't strip some obscure restraint bit off Pirates 1&2 yet.

·
Registered
913 Posts
i have been very disappointed with running dual view with displays that have different resolutions. The success of running the system this way has been very hit and miss. I finally just got rid of the second monitor, and use the 1080P RPTV as the computer monitor as well as the movie viewing device. Way less headaches, way more stable configuration.

the system i'm talking about is a brand new build with a gigabyte MB, gigabyte 8600 gts video card, and a E6600 processor, WinXP.

I have had similar problems in the past with an ATI setup..and while I understand that generalizations are dangerous, I have found, particularly in Home Theater, that sometimes your better off simplifiying your setup and watching more movies, than having your head swell up and explode trying to get something to work which "ought" to work, but won't.

I guess it depends on how much time and money your willing to spend to get it "just right". If hometheater didn't exist as a hobby, Newegg would have had to invent it.

That's the joy and the curse of home theater..nothing necessarily works exactly the way it's billed as working.

Besides, when you mix cutting edge hardware, Microsoft software, things like PowerDVD, AnyDVD, and Girder, bluetooth, networks, drive arrays and X-10, not to mention HDMI, and copy protection...

quite frankly it's proof that miracles do happen....when you get it work at all...

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Yeah, I've never liked dualview for video playback. Although it works better with modern cards, vmr9/evr stats will usually show some jitter or framedrop.

BTW, a useful util for secondary monitor video playback is vidres. You can make little batch files to stick on the desktop which switch monitor and open your video app in one swoop.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Should have mentioned: all the problems with dualview only exist on the secondary monitor. If you go into the NVidia control panel and switch the primary to the HDTV while you're playing video, then all problems are solved (you can also switch primary with vidres batch files)

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysoligard /forum/post/0

Thanks guys... il try some of this, and make a reply. The best ting to do is maybe to buy a lcd monitor that has "1080p" ressolution, isn´t it? If i whant to use dual view!?

... and HDCP compliant, even if not strictly necessary, I'd recommend it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
"The best ting to do is maybe to buy a lcd monitor that has "1080p" ressolution, isn´t it? If i whant to use dual view!?"

like i said

you haven't wasted your money, you just haven't spent enough yet....

enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsurgeon /forum/post/0

"The best ting to do is maybe to buy a lcd monitor that has "1080p" ressolution, isn´t it? If i whant to use dual view!?"

like i said

you haven't wasted your money, you just haven't spent enough yet....

enjoy the ride!

Will i ever have enough?
If u have money use it on something u want.....U dont need it in the grave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.