AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have an ATI 4850, when i'm using VLC or media player classic, it's taking up about 60% of my cpu, how do i make it so my card is doing the work instead of my processor? My play back isn't smooth keeps stuttering or freezing for a bit.

I have a core 2 duo 2.4 cpu and 4GB of Ram running on Vista 64bit. Please let me know how i can fix this or do i need a better video card.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when playing powerdvd, i have to convert my .mkv files to .avi, and the audio donesn't seem as good as playing it on the vlc player.

But I still get same 60% usually when playing either player.

For powerdvd, when i check use hardware acceleration, there is not picture when playing the .avi HD file. Just audio.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
The whole idea of latest powerful GFX is off load as much as CPU load to GFX especially HDTV and BD playback.

I used to have 3850 and currently using 4850 with old Intel MB and P4, I only use between 15% to 40% CPU usage when playing BD movies.

Please try PDVD or TMT for BD, you should notice a significant reduce CPU usage and off load GFX.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If it's stuttering at 60% CPU, lack of video card acceleration probably isn't the problem. The CPU isn't even close to max load.

Could be something as simple as the hard drive needing defragmenting, or could be one of the many other strange gremlins that can pop up.

·
Registered
196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFranchise /forum/post/14256058

If it's stuttering at 60% CPU, lack of video card acceleration probably isn't the problem. The CPU isn't even close to max load.

Could be something as simple as the hard drive needing defragmenting, or could be one of the many other strange gremlins that can pop up.

He's got a dual core CPU, so 60% utilisation could be pegging one core at 100%.

If the file isn't encoded with the right profile then using coreavc should help - it uses the least cpu cycles that I've seen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts