AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've don't find a good way to play HD.DVD without PowerDVD ...

I've a Pentium M 780 , an ATI x1000 Pro HDMi Or a Nvidia 7300 (nothing more exist on Low Profile)

Thanks

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Sure, go to Costco and buy the Toshiba HD-D2 for $249 (this is the exact same as the Toshiba HD-A2). Voila, HD DVD without PowerDVD Ultra.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Not possible at the moment.

PDVD is the only game in town.

Stay tuned though. It will be done. MPC, ZP or VLC.

In fact, according to some folks you can do it even now with Zoom Player and Sonic Scenarist HD filters.

Don't quote me on this, I haven't tried it.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 /forum/post/0

In fact, according to some folks you can do it even now with Zoom Player and Sonic Scenarist HD filters.

This is a directshow graph for a VC1/DD+ HD-DVD (AnyDVD is needed):

Some people have audio sync issues with it though.

·
Registered
663 Posts
It is actually quiet simple and free of charge, works ith MPC and with ZP: Splitter: Haali, connecting to MS VC1-Decoder from the beta-pack (do a search in google), sound with ffdshow or ac3filter and that's it. Only issue is that ffdshow audio and ffdshpw video together not yet work with it (taht would be the non-plusultra as I would like to have some more sharpening). Some guys are working on it currently:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...5&goto=newpost

·
Registered
869 Posts
How does ffdshow / ac3filter do the latest DD & DTS HD codecs? Doesn't ffdshow / ac3filter only support the older sound standards?

Also, how is your CPU usage for sharpening with ffdshow? Surely with the much higher bitrate it must bring the CPU to its knees?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandob /forum/post/0

How does ffdshow / ac3filter do the latest DD & DTS HD codecs? Doesn't ffdshow / ac3filter only support the older sound standards?

Also, how is your CPU usage for sharpening with ffdshow? Surely with the much higher bitrate it must bring the CPU to its knees?

correct, ffdshow does not handle the new audio codecs, which is why you need the cinemaster audio decoder.

and yes, post processing with ffdshow will bring your CPU to its knees, if decoding h264 does not already (without hardware assist). and I don't think the combination ffshow+hardware assist works.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher /forum/post/0

Sure, go to Costco and buy the Toshiba HD-D2 for $249 (this is the exact same as the Toshiba HD-A2). Voila, HD DVD without PowerDVD Ultra.

Gotta be the sweetest deal out there, after the movie rebate your looking at 150.00 for a stand alone player cheapest I've seen yet.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I am using MyMovies pre-release 8 (it's a post 2.2 version)... just installed it the other day, and when I launched MyMovies from withing Vista MC, MyMovies asked me I wanted to configure it to play HD-DVD just like it does with DVDs.

I do not have HD-DVDs ripped to my drive, so I could not test it... but I have the Vista Codec Pack that includes AVC/VC-1 codecs (I believe it does) which is essentially the same as FFDShow... so MyMovies may be an option too.

-T

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone /forum/post/0

I am using MyMovies pre-release 8 (it's a post 2.2 version)... just installed it the other day, and when I launched MyMovies from withing Vista MC, MyMovies asked me I wanted to configure it to play HD-DVD just like it does with DVDs.

I do not have HD-DVDs ripped to my drive, so I could not test it... but I have the Vista Codec Pack that includes AVC/VC-1 codecs (I believe it does) which is essentially the same as FFDShow... so MyMovies may be an option too.

-T

Highly doubt it.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciton /forum/post/0

Hello,

I've don't find a good way to play HD.DVD without PowerDVD ...

I've a Pentium M 780 , an ATI x1000 Pro HDMi Or a Nvidia 7300 (nothing more exist on Low Profile)

Thanks

MSI NX7600GS-MTD256E-HD

If you don't mind using AnyDVD, there are also some Geforces 6600 with low profiles available, which should be faster than a Geforce 7300.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
do you think I could really have better perf. with a 7600Gs or a 6600 ?

the best of the two ?

thanks for help

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone /forum/post/0

-T

MyMovies only makes a call to start PowerDVD 7.3 if it detects a HD-DVD directory structure. MyMovies is not a media player, it only starts other media players (ie. MCE built-in DVD or TT) to play DVD.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
VC-1 decoding can be done with the Microsoft decoder found in Windows Media Player 11 (the full install or the WMP11 Runtime installer).

·
Registered
5,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciton /forum/post/0

windows media player 11 is inclued with vista , does it mean the VC-1 codec is inclued in vista ?

Vista will not playback HD DVDs out of the box, if that's what you're alluding to.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher /forum/post/0

Vista will not playback HD DVDs out of the box, if that's what you're alluding to.

Actually someone on the different forum reported being able to play Blu Ray m2ts file from the root with WMP on Vista after installing PowerDVD.

You Vista guys might wanna try it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts