AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sony HDR SR12e and I wnat to play the recorded files on my PC as smooth as the camcorder itself.

I can play the files on my PC but the motion is not as smooth as the camera, you can see that the motion playing on PC is "harder" than the camera.

I am using Vista with coreAVC.

Anyone here got to play those files smoothly on PC? Any tips?

Sorry the poor english.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe so.

I can play other formats in Full HD on my PC with no problems, on this particular case the problem is with the motion of the picture not with the speed itself.

It's like you can't see the motion blur as when you're playing the file with the camera, and also it's like it's not on the right frame rate.

The problem is with this m2ts file format from the camera.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhanks /forum/post/15542945

I have a sony HDR SR12e and I wnat to play the recorded files on my PC as smooth as the camcorder itself.

I can play the files on my PC but the motion is not as smooth as the camera, you can see that the motion playing on PC is "harder" than the camera.

Sorry the poor english.

I am trying Cyberllink's PowerDVD 8 Ultra - it is working well so far.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You need a powerful PC. I have a Core i7 processor with 12 GB of RAM and a 1 GB Radeon HD4870 graphics card and .m2ts files from my SR11 play smoothly using VLC player. You'd probably get away with not quite as powerful a PC but this is what's working for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Having also a graphic card and a codec (cyberlink or arcsoft ) that supports hardware acceleration will also lower considerably the cpu load at the point that you do not need a big processor or a lot of memory.

I'm experiencing problem though with Cyberlink (with hardware acceleration) while core AVC, while does not support hw acc, plays more smoothly.

You could also try ffdshow since it supports h264 format ( I did not tried it yet).

-S

·
Registered
15 Posts
For what it's worth, I am testing Windows 7 on a dual core processor laptop with 3gb of memory. I moved over some of the m2ts files and played them with the new media player and they played better than my Alienware XP desktop machine using Cyberlink 8.

·
Registered
393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bullard /forum/post/15562356

For what it's worth, I am testing Windows 7 on a dual core processor laptop with 3gb of memory. I moved over some of the m2ts files and played them with the new media player and they played better than my Alienware XP desktop machine using Cyberlink 8.

Does Windows 7 have native AVC/H.264 codec support? Or do you still need to install 3rd party codec for it to play? When you say "better", does it mean flawless playback?

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhanks /forum/post/15542945

Sorry the poor english.

Have you tried using the software that came with that Sony camcorder? I use the supplied Canon software that came with my HG20 and it displays just fine on my PC. I have a 3.2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of RAM, 7200RPM hard drives, GeForce 7600GS video card, and Windows XP Pro SP2.

When viewed in Windows Media Player, it plays but not as good quality as the supplied Canon software.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the reply! I really appreciated it.

I made some tests with other 1080 formats that worked ok for my PC, so I don´t think It´s a CPU and GPU problem.

Second, I tested the files with the new Windvd, and I got a really better play, I think it got very close to the camera Play but I still have the impression the camera is smoother, at least now you can see playing in the right fps.

I think, I don´t know how, the motion blur that the camera render is better, so I think now it is a matter of a right codec and right options. Now I am much more satisfied playing the files on the PC.

If anyone have any more tips feel comfortable to share.

Thanks everybody for the feedback.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhanks /forum/post/15642134

If anyone have any more tips feel comfortable to share.

A bit late but maybe better than never... The PowerDVD8 (Cyberlink) h264 codec does a fantastic job when it uses the GPU (DXVA / "hardware acceleration"). Not because of the DXVA per se but because it employs some sort of intelligent deinterlacer (my guess) in that mode that actually generates 50 *different frames* (I've single-stepped and checked the timing) per second from my Sony SR11 AVCHD files (or probably 60 over there in the US). This gives a *very* smooth, beautiful playback. As a comparison ffdshow only outputs 25 fps which gives a more movie-like, less smooth, playback. I don't think it matters much which player you use, it's the decoder that is important here (I use my own DirectShow player).

·
Registered
6 Posts
google for mega klite codec pack and install it to your computer then use media classic player which built in with it to play your .m2ts files. my old computer plays it without a prolem.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Second, I tested the files with the new Windvd, and I got a really better play, I think it got very close to the camera Play but I still have the impression the camera is smoother, at least now you can see playing in the right fps.

Factors that affect the "smoothness" of play:

1) The capacity of the PC, i.e. if it's got the horse power to decode the stream. I'm running a single core 3.2 GHz CPU with a 7000-series NVidia. It needs about 50% CPU to decode AVCHD but it's absolutely smooth. Keep the number of active processes at a minimum. Antivirus can for instance be a real CPU hog.

2) If the decoder produces 25/30 or 50/60 different frames / s (see above).

3) If your display's refresh rate is an even multiple of the video fps.

4) If 3) stays that way over time. This is often not the case since the display and the video run with two physically different clocks that may be close but are not the same.

My experimental player solves 4) (only works with some graphics boards and displays). See http://www.ostrogothia.com/video/?page_id=5 . You may also try the Reclock filter to get 4).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts